Find
Notify
Tools

Newbie to cast
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted
I just acquired a SRH in .44 Mag and saw on the hunting forum that many people like cast over jacketed bullets for hunting. My question is I see bullets from manufacturers in a sorts of sizes .429,.430,.431 etc. Where is a good place to start. I was going to order some Oregon Trail 300 grainers any thoughts thanx. Also my uncle used them years ago and told me to make sure to use gas checks as they keep the bore cleaner any thoughts?

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some guns will shoot PB (plain base) bullets just fine but many will not. I suggest starting out with a gas check bullet because that way you are almost guaranteed success.

The rule of thumb is size the bullet to fit the throat. Ruger throats have been all over the map so you would need to measure -- OR, when in doubt, just err on the large side, 0.431" or 0.432".

There are all kinds of possible complications to bullet size and firearm dimensions but let's keep it simple at this stage of the game.

I hunt with cast but only because I enjoy using a bullet that I made myself. Cast bullets give superior penetration but typically do not expand, so do not expect a lot of shock and awe unless placement is perfect -- I'd suggest aiming at the heart/aorta.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a site devoted entirely to cast Boolits at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/index.php