Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If you're interested..........
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Gents,
VERY interested! Not much I can contribute other than gmushial of RCBS.Load has some good thoughts, IMHO, on conductive vs convective types of powder burn on his website, www,gmdr.com.
I have recently experienced what with analysis is a fairly close call with a 45/70 and a light load of Rx7. More of a 'kawoosh' after squeezing the trigger. The action was full of partially burnt powder, and the 340gr bullet about 6" down the barrel. The first time it happened I assumed that I had made some mistake in reloading in terms of the powder charge. It was a test load and with little experience with either powder or the cartridge, I blamed the operator.
I went home, had to strip the action completetely, get the boolit out, and proceeded to load another 10 rounds, carefully weighing each charge. It happened again! Uh oh,,,,,, a carefull read of Ackley in his chapter 5, Vol 1; Reduced Loads, a long discussion with my friend Allen the gunsmith, and I switched from CCI standard primers to WLR's.
Now I'm I'm running Blue Dot, and after a hunnert or so rounds, am confident that whatever occurred was not the inconsistency of reloading, but some 'magic' configuration that was on the edge of secondary ignition effect.
Difficult to pin down and reproduce,,,, yet it did happen, and I certainly ain't lookin' for a 3rd instance.

felix,
With the nuclear powder we are of course gonna' use spent uranium for the projectile,,,, and mebbe a 6' barrel? Or reline a battleship barrel to 35 cal?????????

Cheers all, Do take care,,,

R*2

Posts: 129 | Location: NorthEast | Registered: 20 January 2003Reply With Quote