Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cast bullets for .405 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

Methinks you've got a large gun cabinet??

Teddy R's gun I think.

Sounds like some kinda woods/Alaskan gun....

a) large-gun cabinet - yes, includes .375H&H and .458WM in Ruger #1's and several .45-70's.
b) large gun-cabinet - yes, people that have as many guns as I do scare the hell out of me!

TR's gun - yes, in the Winchester lever action.

Objective: 300ish grains at comfortable speeds, but BIGGER boolets, perhaps 500 to 700 grainers strictly subsonic - might even get to be supressed.

Appreciate the research (and SWAG's too).

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll run some Wingyro numbers and get back to you Tim.

Methinks you've got a large gun cabinet??

Ok-- I'm learning something today. Can't remember ever looking at the 405 case-- which is a monster. 2.58" long and a rim dia of .543 with the base dia at .462 tapering to a mouth dia of .436 Bullet dia is .405-- I assumed a knock off from the 348 but it's an original. Teddy R's gun I think.

Using a 1.25" bullet with a meplat of .3 and a .5" nose length Gyro sez you'd be fine with even a 18 twist assuming you'd be going trans-sonic. But above that the 1.25 should even spin enough with a 20-21 twist. I'd guestimate that trial slug would weigh in the neighborhood of 350-360 grs using ww alloy. I use 11.125 for the specific gravity of the alloy being ww. The factory loading was a 300 gr BTW.

Sounds like some kinda woods/Alaskan gun....

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote