Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Cast bullets for .405 Win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Aladin:

I believe the .405 was a "smokeless upgrade" of the .40-72 Winchester, with a slightly increased bore / groove diameter. It is also fairly close to the .40-70 Sharps Streaight.

On the "brass rod down the bore" question, no doubt it is safe if properly wrapped as you describe. Still makes me a bit queasy, though, and I get adequate results with the oversize round balls, as described.

floodgate

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Aladin:

I believe the .405 was a "smokeless upgrade" of the .40-72 Winchester, with a slightly increased bore / groove diameter. It is also fairly close to the .40-70 Sharps Streaight (sic).

floodgate

You are correct.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Aladin: On the "brass rod down the bore" question, no doubt it is safe if properly wrapped as you describe. Still makes me a bit queasy, though, and I get adequate results with the oversize round balls, as described.

floodgate

I hear ya floodgate. Just I've done so much of this type of thing I guess alot of caution doing such is my norm. Thing I like about the impact slug it gives the ACTUAL dia of the throat and also neck dia. Then rechambering and retamping will show what degree of throat wear you have IF you carefully measure the area before doing such.

But taking care and protecting the barrel is the first priority.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote