Notify
Tools

Search for a 9 mm cast bullet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted
Dear Friends!

I REALLY love the H & G # 68. I wish, I had something comparable in 9 mm ...

I once found a SINGLE bullet ( in a 500 box of 9 mm bullets from Seidler in the 90´s - or was it Hriberscheg or that shop near Mexicoplatz ??? ), that REALLY looked promising.

... it was a 9 mm SWC BB. I don´t care that much for the BB, but it was a SWC, so with a flat nose ( albeigh small ), a general shape ( relationship lenght of "cone" and lenght of bullet ) that seemed to faciliate good feeding, and a sharp "cutting shoulder", to cut clean holes on paper, and what would be called a "Scharfrand" ( "cutting edge" ) on hunting bullets to give hair at the spot, where shot. It had one lube groove ( IIRC ). Not sure, if it had an additional crimping grovve. It seemed to be about 115 to 125 grs weight. Don´t know, where I put it ( changed adress once in the meantime )

I strongly believe in the "cutting edge", that it cuts a clear hole in the target, which I prefer. Whatever the target.

PLEASE: any ideas, what mould should I search ( buy? )?!?!?

I checked several maker´s mould lists, but didn´t find my "dream" bullet. Any help ( in General about really good 9 mm bullet shapes ) or good SWC´s or my "dream" bullet would be appreciated!

Thanks in advanve, Hermann

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 121 gr Lyman 356402 a bunch in 9mm pistol and subgun. It is a conical with just a hint of a ridge. Is a very good bullet that is easy to make and Lyman 4 cavity moulds are relatively inexpensive.

The H&G #7 is a similar bullet.

The H&G 275 is a 125 gr bullet very much like the one you seem to be looking for.

See the H&G mould chart and the links to pictures.

Many H&G designs are available from Ballisti-Cast. I like their moulds very nearly as much as my original H&G moulds.

I have also used the Lyman 358477 150 gr Keith bullet as a heavy 9mm and .38 Super bullet. It works very well when properly sized ... if you can tolerate the heavier weight.

See: Lyman Moulds

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
THANKS!!

What do you size your 9 mm bullets? .357?

I wonder, if I buy one mould, to double use it for .38 ( +P ) bullets - mould should give .358 bullets, sized .357 for 9 mm, unsized for .38 spl ...

H

formerly, before software update, known as "aHunter", lost 1000 posts in a minute

Posts: 337 | Location: Middle Europe | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I usually size .356 for 9mm, .357 for Super and .358 for .38/.357 mag.

Size of the bullet will be dependent on the mould and the allow. Talk to the provider of the mould and make sure it'll drop big enough bullets for you to size for several calibers.

I have not found any need for gas checks in the calibers I shoot with weight bullets. I do use Carnauba Red lube from LARS45 on this forum. Great stuff but requires just a little heat when it's cold.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
I did a LOT of research during the last days. Thanks to Accuratereloading I am able to present the solution myself:

Its a H & G bullet. I was able to find ( with above mentioned help there ) the original drawings of the H & G bullets/moulds, as well as theír successors, Ballisti - Cast.

The bullet I saw is - with nearly 95 % confidence - the H & G # 264, or Ballisti - Cast´s # 864.

# 275 ( or 875 ) is similar, with the taper to the meplat beginning at the wadcutter - shoulder, while the 264 has a straight, albeigh not boreriding, section there.

I also noticed the # 81 for the .38 Super, in .358, which is the equivalent of the famous # 68 in 45, in 38!

I think I´ll try to get a # 875 mould, or a caster, who furnishes me with those bullets! First it looks like the straight section has no purpose to me, second, in the fine print in a 1994 H & G catalog I found for this bullet: "similar to # 68 in .45"!

Seems my search is over ...

Anybody have experience with those three mentioned bullets? Is .356 ok, or will .357 be better for 9mm´s?

Thanks to all, Hermann

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
NEI makes a great 9mm/swc mold if you want to roll your own.
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Arminius
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Fred!

Which mould / bullet do you mean specifcally? What is its cast dia, what do you size to? ( I think SIG Sauer and HP´s mainly, with 08 and P 38 and S & W 39 and Glocks secondary idea )

On looking on that page I like:

356-115 BB, 356-120 GC, 356-122 BB, 356-129 BB, regrettably bullets in .357 and .358 don´t have a cutting shoulder except 358-115 PB, which might be a little bit too large ...

I think for plinking / target / ( and in worst case; legislation rules out JSP, as JHP has been already forbidden ) defensive use I want no GC, but for accuracy a long bearing surface and for effect a "cutting shoulder".

Good shooting, H