New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little fun shooting along with some anger
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My grandson wanted to shoot the Marlin 1894P in .44 mag yesterday. I grabbed my Super Blackhawk and a whole pocket full of boolits. I had my LBT style and mixed in some 310 gr. Lee's. I gave him a box of light loads. We shot offhand at small steel pieces at 25 yds., a little steel buffalo at 50 yds. and an old propane tank at 100 yds. The grandson had some of those little containers of BBQ sauce from Burger King. He put one on a stump at 35 yds. and I blew it up with my first shot. I kind of T'd him off with that shot. I shot the whole pocket full and only missed 2 times.
He was missing with the Marlin at long range so I caught him flinching. I tried to explain how to read the boolit impact to find out what he is doing wrong and he jumped down my throat for harping at him. I could not talk to him as he told me he knew everything and I should stop telling him how to do things. Well, it got my dander up and it will be a long, long time before he shoots again. I can't figure out what is wrong with young ones today. I foresee a bleak future for shooting sports. I hope none of you fellas have the same problem! This kid is unteachable and does not want to learn to do anything. He is 16 and I ask him what he is going to do when he is out of school and he comes up with fantasy ideas. We two are like oil and water.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
most are like that (or worse) these days. he is only 16 just a pup yet with raging hormones.. give the shooting a rest for a while and when he gets a little more maturity he may want a mentor to teach him. be there for him. takes a lot of patients and lots of tougue biting but he might learn from you if you let him. i learned all about shooting from a mentor when i was in my 20s. theres time the main thing is have fun with it.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't be hard on the lad..There is nothing wrong with him. Young people today have a much harder time growing up that we did. The world they face is far more complex and presents far more choices than ours did. They are filled with all kinds of conflicts and angst. Growing us was never easy, but it is far far harder on the young people of today.It is not their fault, they are growing up in the world our generation shaped for them.

Sixteen is the age at which they are trying to establish their own individual identities. They have a gut negative reaction to others telling them what or how to do something. They are also angry with themselves for not being able to do it up to yours or their own expectations.

What this or any other boy needs at this stage of life is to be told by another male, that he is developing into a fine and acceptable man. When he does something right, praise him. When he does something wrong, keep your mouth shut. Don't give up on taking him shooting. He needs a grandad who is patience, understanding, loving, and supportive. His conduct my not show any respose in the short term, but in years to come he will express gratitude for your care.

Getting pissed at his childish behaviour and giving up on him, really is adolescent behaviour itself. I don't intent to give offense. I really want to help. These kids are very fragile and in the end, it is love that wins the days. I am sorry for sticking my nose in your business, but I felt this to be important.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boondocker
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean there. I have a 14 yr old girl and she knows it all. She is to stuborn to listen to us. She gets mad at us for the penalties she imposes on herself and wont listen to the reason why that its her mouth. Kids now a days know they wont be punished that bad becuase they tell them in school that it is permisable to get punished. When I was a kid and I spoke up may father made sure it wouldnt happen again and that tuaght me to respect people. To much tv and the weird music doesnt help. Boon ( About the best time we get along is when we go shooting together.)

Posts: 647 | Location: Pa | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sigh. Kids nowadays. No hope for them.

Why, when we were teenagers, we and all our friends were polite and respectful, weren't we? We NEVER did anything our parents or teachers would disapprove of. And of course, our parents, grandparents, and teachers never, but never, were in the least disappointed in us. And when our kids were teens, they too were nigh on to perfect.

Li'l angels, that's what we were. I wonder how so much could change with this currrent generation?

To quote Jump, "HAR!"

I tell my kids that if they did the things I did as a youngster, they'd be thrown in jail. Teen hyjinks used to be tolerated, and even smiled at behind covered faces; nowadays, they're criminal offenses. IMO, the older one becomes, the more responsibility he has for patience.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a bit off topic from bfr's post, so I apologize.

A few years ago, I went to a state park to have some lunch and kill some time. When I drove in, there were 3 (count 'em, THREE) state police cars with lights flashing. "Crime Scene" tape was wrapped around several pavillions, and uniformed officers were walking around with cameras, tape measures, and clipboards. I thought for sure there'd been a multiple murder. I asked one of the more officious-looking cops what was going on. He scowlingly answered that there'd been a small-town high school graduation party there the previous evening. As normal with officious people, I then had to pry more info from him. Turns out that the previous year, the school's graduating class had taken all the wooden picnic tables from the park, and put them in the center of the town's plaza. To prevent such things from happening again, the state replaced all the wooden tables with heavy cement tables. This year, the same school's graduating class had removed all the cement tables and stacked them, five-high, right there in the park's picnic area. The officer assured me that they'd catch and prosecute the villains. Then he proceeded to chide me for laughing, assuring me it was a serious offence, and would cost a lot of state tax money to put those tables back where they belong.

I thought the whole thing was funny enough to write a letter to the editor about it, and it got some pretty interesting replies. Kinda like this thread! <GGG>

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote