Find
Notify
Tools

Places to buy lead in Houston?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted
I plan to get back in to casting after a 30 year hiatus. Last time I was casting it was the 70's and I was living in Richmond, VA and could get all the linotype I wanted for 50 cents/lb from Smith Iron and Metal.

With the tighter regs, I figure it probably isn't as easy to source lead. Can you still get wheel weights from tire shops?? I plan to ask around, but figured I'd check here first before making a fool of myself to the whole world....uh oh....guess I just did Smiler

Thanks for any advice,

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to the tire shop where you buy your tires and ask, since you know them they may help you out. If that fails go to your local recycler and put the word out to friends and aquaintances. Not too long ago the wife went to visit friends, when she returned I noticed something in the back of my pickup, about 500 pounds of old roof flashing, that pure lead got smelted down and is now my muzzleloader metal stash, all for free. It's still around you just have to look.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lead is where you find it. Just like a lot of other things.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At one time there was a place in Houston called Lead Products Corporation. I don't know if they are still in business, but that is where I would try first.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out a couple radiator shops while you're at it.