New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a bullet mold for 458 Socom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to develop good subsonic load for my ar15 in 458 Socom. 400 grain loads will not cycle the action properly even when shot at 1250 fps. I tred to load up 50 grain bullets from a Lee mold but the ogive was .450", too wide to chamber unless I seated the bullet crimping groove down to the case shoulder. The ogive would engage the rifling and prevent chambering unless seated too far in. Anyone know where I can get a mold that drops a bullet with an ogive of .445 inches or less? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Whats the barrel twist on that round? The reason I ask is that fast twist barrels used for shooting heavy bullets subsonic are notorious for being susceptable for leading up when shooting cast.

You might want to consider designing a custom mold and having Mountain Molds make it for you, I'd cast your chamber and figure out what dimensions you need.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mountain molds stoped taking orders for the time being . try the lyman 457124. it has a short (.06) front band and mine is .446 in front of the band. the boolit weighs 385 grains cast of WW alloy.

the 45-70 132 years and counting

Posts: 42 | Location: northwest MT | Registered: 17 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My first post should have said 500 grain bullet needed for the subsonic loads. I shoot cast subsonic loads in my 300, 338, and 510 whisper barrels. They all have fast twist barrels, but are very smooth and do not lead up much at all. I have a Lyman mold on order, hopefully it has a narrow ogive that will allow it to chamber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 500 grain bullets out of the Lyman mold work well. They are not gas check, but leave litle or no lead in the barrel. The ogive is small enough so I can load to 2.26" and not engage the rifling. It makes for a good load.

Ranb