New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Micro-groove cast success story
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It was a great day at the range. Shot off a whole variety of guns...peestols, shootguns, single shot rifle, lever action rifle. Boy!
Primarily went to test my new single shot 30-06 Wickliffe with various condom loads that did well in my Springfield. My buddy had a 30-30 Marlin along so brought along a bunch of cast bulletted rounds that work great in my Winchester along with a couple of boxes of condom loads I had loaded for him to try out. Well surprize surprize! I was thinking the copper fouling already in the bore was going to make for some bad groups with the cast but no such thing. These were full-house H-335 loads with Water-quenched W/W lubed with liquid alox. Shot a 10-shot 1 1/4" group @ 50yds. Williams peep rear sight. Same bullet, full house Win. 748 same thing. My buddy was pretty amazed at how good those things shot being as how they were cast. Perhaps I will be responsible for creating another cast bullet addict. I already bear the burden of having spawned numerous cases of shooting addiction amongst those that would have otherwise wandered aimlessly in a gunless life. This buddy has not one but two of those Marlins & next weekend after my payday he will be down to one. It will be nice company in the safe for my big-boy .444 that's already in there. Maybe if I leave them in there long enough with the lights out, they will hatch out a nice .38-55 or maybe .35 Remington? (That's what I can tell my better half when that caliber shows up!)
So anyway, I see alot of guys asking about bullet diameter for Marlins with Micro-groove & these ones we shot were .310" sized.
Good groups, fun shooting, a new 1966 Marlin levergun, my sweetie coming back from a weekend away at school. It doesn't get much better than that does it?
There is a Santa Claus!
Newtire

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote