New
Find
Notify
Tools

More quotes....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all! Here are some more quotes...if anyone wants to read them...

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
Carl Sagan

A fool can no more see his own folly than he can see his ears.
- William Makepeace Thackeray

Join the company of lions rather than assume the lead among foxes.
- Talmud, Aboth (IV, 20) [Companionship]

Love looks not with the eyes, but with the mind,
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind.
- A Midsummer Night's Dream (Helena at I, i) [Love]

Be checked for silence,
But never taxed for speech.
- All's Well That Ends Well (Countess of Rossillion at I, i)

Love all, trust a few,
Do wrong to none.
- All's Well That Ends Well

He that of greatest works is finisher
Oft does them by the weakest minister.
So holy writ in babes hath judgment shown
When judges have been babes; great floods have flown
From simple sources, and great seas have dried
When miracles have by the greatest been denied.
- All's Well That Ends Well (Helena at II, i)

A heaven on earth I have won by wooing thee.
- All's Well That Ends Well (Bertram at IV, ii)

He will lie, sir, with such volubility that you would think truth were a fool; drunkenness is his best virtue, for he will be swine-drunk, and in his sleep he does little harm, save to his bedclothes about him; but they know his conditions and lay him in straw.
- All's Well That Ends Well (Parolles at IV, iii)
I have most of the original quotes, and can repost them, if any woulf like to have them all in one place again.

Cheers, Dale

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Always acknowledge a fault. This will throw those in authority off their guard and give you an opportunity to commit more.

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.

I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know.

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare.

Most people are bothered by those passages of Scripture they do not understand, but the passages that bother me are those I do understand.

Often it does seem a pity that Noah and his party did not miss the boat.

There are people who strictly deprive themselves of each and every eatable, drinkable, and smokable which has in any way acquired a shady reputation. They pay this price for health. And health is all they get for it. How strange it is. It is like paying out your whole fortune for a cow that has gone dry.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.

He had discovered a great law of human action, without knowing it - namely, that in order to make a man or a boy covet a thing, it is only necessary to make the thing difficult to obtain.

The history of our race, and each individual's experience, are sown thick with evidence that a truth is not hard to kill and that a lie told well is immortal.

Mark Twain

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."
Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

Posts: 301 | Location: Xenia,Il. 62899 | Registered: 14 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her.

Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays.

When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.

Work is the curse of the drinking classes.

Vile deeds like poison weeds bloom well in prison air, it is only what is good in man, that wastes and withers there.

I choose my friends for their good looks, my acquaintances for their good characters, and my enemies for their good intellects. A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies.

I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world.

When a woman marries again, it is because she detested her first husband. When a man marries again, it is because he adored his first wife. Women try their luck; men risk theirs.

Oscar Wilde

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state.

Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.

Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances.

No government ought to be without censors & where the press is free, no one ever will.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Democracy is 51% of the people taking away the rights of the other 49%.

Thomas Jefferson

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
'When you are good to others, you are best to yourself."
Ben Franklin

"Without prayer I shouls have been a lunatic years ago."
Mahatma Gandi

"Every man is a damn fool at least five minutes every day. Wisdom consists of not exceeding that limit."
Elbert Hubbard

"A bit of flagrance always clings to the hand that gives you roses."
Chines Proverb

" I shall pass this way but once.Therefore any good that I can do or any kindness that I can show- let
me do it now. Let me not defer nor neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again."
Theodore Drieser

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
"I can't match him in decibels..or jezebelles."
(Jesse Helms about Ted Kennedy) ( This was told to me...is this right?)

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
Life is pain, princess. . . anyone who says differently is selling something
--Wesley The Princess Bride

There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle The other is as though everything is a miracle.
--Albert Einstein

How far that little candle throws his beams! So shines a good deed in a naughty world!
--William Shakespeare

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
All that's gold does not glitter. Not all those who wander are lost.
--J.R.R. Tolkien
Wink

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, Homer Simpson time...

Internet! Is that thing still around?

All right, let's not panic. I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one

Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

First you don't want me to get the pony, then you want me to take it back. Make up your mind.

What is a wedding? Webster's Dictionary defines a wedding as "The process of removing weeds from one's garden." ( giving a lecture on marriage ).

Heh Heh Heh! Lisa! Vampires are make believe, just like elves and gremlins and eskimos!

I bet Einstein turned himself into all sorts of colors before he invented the light bulb.

If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just stick that guitar in the closet next to your shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go inside and watch TV.

Now Bart, since you broke Grandpa's teeth, he gets to break yours.

Operator! Give me the number for 911!

There's a New Mexico?!?

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.

Well you know boys, a nuclear reactor is a lot like women. You just have to read the manual and press the right button.

When I look at the smiles on all the children's faces. Just know they're about to jab me with something.

You know those balls that they put on car antennas so you can find them in the parking lot? Those should be on EVERY CAR!

Hey, can you take the wheel for a second, I have to scratch my self in two places at once.

I felt a surge of power, like god must feel, when he's holding a gun.

Because sometimes the only way you can feel good about yourself is by making someone else look bad. And I'm tired of making other people feel good about themselves.

# Pffft, English. Who needs that. I'm never going to England.

Marge : Homer, the plant called. They said if you don't show up tomorrow don't bother showing up on Monday.
Homer : Woo-hoo! Four-day weekend!

Marge : It looks like there's going to be twice as much love in this house.
Homer : You mean we're going to start doing it in the morning?

"There are only so many times I can say sorry and still mean it."

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut

one of us
posted Hide Post
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
--Mahatma Gandhi

A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
--Erin Majors

Although I can accept talking scarecrows, lions and great wizards of emerald cities, I find it hard to believe there is no paperwork involved when your house lands on a witch.
--Dave James

Marriage is the only war where you sleep with the enemy.
--Gary Busey

... going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. You just leave a lot of useless noisy baggage behind.
--Jed Babbin, former deputy undersecretary of defense in the first Bush administration

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
--Confucius

The wisdom of life consists in the elimination of nonessentials.
--Lin Yutang

Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what's right.
--Isaac Asimov

If what you're working for really matters, you'll give it all you've got.
--Nido Qubein

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
--Sir John Lubbock

Leadership is doing what is right when no one is watching.
--George Van Valkenburg

Jan L. A. de Snepscheut