Find
Notify
Tools

Is the 311041 supposed to be a bore rider. I hope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
not because it is not in my 1952 336A

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gregg,
I don't think it is a bore rider. It sure isn't in my Model 94's or my Contender in 30-30 caliber...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentleman's '41 is definitely a bore ride design. The Lyman spec sheet I'm looking at here shows a .302 dia on the base end of the ogive before it makes it's radius to a meplat. Understand Lyman figures their dia's in #2 alloy which casts at least 1/2 thou larger than ww alloy and a full thou over lead.

Methinks what happens is the as cut specs change as the cherry is reground to sharpen it.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two of the things that can make that design "NOT"ride like you want. One is using too soft an alloy. Softer is smaller. The second what are you sizing it at. I found out the hard way this fall duing hunting season. My son was using my model 70 .308 and had problems getting the bolt to open and close. It turned out I had made up a second batch of hunting loads using a .309 bullet sizing die. We were running out of the first box of 50 that was sized .308. That .001 difference showed up in both the Winchester and my 96 Swede Kimber. ...Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
georgewxxx size to .309 . GeorgeWXXX what part of SD do you live in ?? I'm south center next to Nebr.

Posts: 112 | Location: Bonetown,South Dakota | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gregg, I'm 10 miles nort of Sin City...(Sioux Falls). That's where everyone talk's in a scandinavian dilect....Geo

Posts: 57 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say bullets are air cooled WW. BTW i'm down at Bonesteel. I use to shoot black powder with some boys from Baltic . I think one was the local banker?

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Has anybody measured to see if it affects the bullet diameter when the same alloy is air-cooled or heat treated?

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gregg,
That would be lynn Aspass I think. I live about 4 miles southwest of that range. Neighbor kid Carl Eliason shoots up there all the time. I'm luckey enough to have two fireing points here. One for revolters facing nort that I rarely use, and a hunnert yarder facing east towards a horse ranch. Does Morefield sound familiar?....Geo

one of us
posted Hide Post
lynn Aspass I remember very well. Morefield does not ring a bell. It has been 12 to 13 years sence I have been around Baltic or seen Lynn. Last time I saw Lynn he had been to Japan. Use to be a Handgun target shooter I use to shoot againce with black powder revolver. don't remember his name . white beard.