THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: What's your favorite way to slug a bore?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I take an oversize lead slug and tap it in gently until I can push it with some resistance until it is close to being out the other end. This gives me a feel of the bore. Make sure some lube coats the bore. Now I put a brass rod in against the slug to hold it and put another rod from the other end and gently upset the slug until it is tight. Now finish tapping it out.
Can't do it with a revolver though.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was wondering how you guys that slug your own bores find is your favorite or best method? ...and explain the procedure if you care to.

ML

one of us
posted Hide Post
1. I make certain the barrel is clean
2. Run an oily patch down the bore
3. Drive a soft lead slug into the muzzle with a rawhide mallet, until it is flush with the muzzle.
4. Drive the slug about two inches into the barrel with a brass rodd.
5. Push the slug all the way through with a good cleaning rod.
6. Stuff the chamber with paper towels to catch the slug and keep it from being damaged.
7. Measure the slug with a good Starrett micrometer

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Shoot it into the deep end of a swimming pool, with no more than a grain or two of bullseye with a wad of toilet paper over the powder, all set against the primer. Have a kid swim down to get the boolit. You want as close to zero velocity as possible coming out of the barrel, so alter charge accordingly. If the boolit's nose is bent, then the shot was too hard. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Drive an oiled lead fishing sinker with a rod and mallet from the breech, not muzzle, end of the barrel. Avoids risk of damaging the crown, and makes it easy to identify if the bore has loose spots near the muzzle (a real accuracy killer.)

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote