New
Find
Notify
Tools

About to wet my pants
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got in from a little job a buddy and I did up north of here yesterday and this morning and got a phone call from a close buddy of mine. His problem is he has fallen out of love with his pet 25-06. They have been together, oh, about six years give or take. It seems his head has been turned by a sexy Mod 70 in .270 Win of some sort or another. It seems she spoke to him from the dealer's rack and then they touched. She swept him off his feet. Since he is loyal to his old love (the 25-06)he wants her to go to a good home, mine. Rifle in question is a Marlin mod 7 (?) 98% like brand new with a Nikon 3x9 scope. Also included is a few boxes of Hornady factory ammo. All this for three hundred bucks to defray costs on the new rifle. Dosen't want the wife to see too big a blimp on the checkbook screen. Since I have RCBS dies in 25-06 that I got in a trade with some other stuff about 20 years ago and since I have a RCBS 25 caliber mould for my 257 Roberts, I really don't see how I can go wrong. Might I add said rifle comes with some once fired brass. I really don't need another rifle right now but I think God wants me to have this one. I have shot this one a of times over the years and it makes varmit rifle groups with the factory jacketed stuff. I quess the question I have is, anybody know what kind of barrels they put on these things, regular or nicro groove? If micro groove can I expect a bore this small to shoot cast well? My Roberts will keep the RCBS slug on the pip of a playing card all day at 50 yards 3 shot group. Tentative plans are for said rifle to arive on Sunday.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Such a deal! I always thought that rifle looked great, but they made it only a short while. There can't have been many of them.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You got me curious enough to take a look on the Marlin Collector's board. The MR-7 is said to have six groove rifling and to be somewhat of a rarity in .25-06.

You're getting the whole package for about the current value of just the rifle.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Marlin microgrooves shoot CB's as well as they do jacketed bullets. You should be aware, however, that some claim MG rifling requires a harder CB and imposes limits on how fast such bullets can be driven. You'll have to determine for yourself whether such claims apply to your rifle in particular. ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Microgroove Marlin I've shot cast bullets in is my "1895." At velocities up to a bit over 1800 FPS, no problem. That's as fast as anything's ever going to get shot out of it; I've gone to loading down to blackpowder levels lately.

Congratulations on the .25-06, that sounds like a great one!

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodsloafer:
Just got in from a little job a buddy and I did up north of here yesterday and this morning and got a phone call from a close buddy of mine. His problem is he has fallen out of love with his pet 25-06. They have been together, oh, about six years give or take. It seems his head has been turned by a sexy Mod 70 in .270 Win of some sort or another. It seems she spoke to him from the dealer's rack and then they touched. She swept him off his feet. Since he is loyal to his old love (the 25-06)he wants her to go to a good home, mine. Rifle in question is a Marlin mod 7 (?) 98% like brand new with a Nikon 3x9 scope. Also included is a few boxes of Hornady factory ammo. All this for three hundred bucks to defray costs on the new rifle. Dosen't want the wife to see too big a blimp on the checkbook screen. Since I have RCBS dies in 25-06 that I got in a trade with some other stuff about 20 years ago and since I have a RCBS 25 caliber mould for my 257 Roberts, I really don't see how I can go wrong. Might I add said rifle comes with some once fired brass. I really don't need another rifle right now but I think God wants me to have this one. I have shot this one a of times over the years and it makes varmit rifle groups with the factory jacketed stuff. I quess the question I have is, anybody know what kind of barrels they put on these things, regular or nicro groove? If micro groove can I expect a bore this small to shoot cast well? My Roberts will keep the RCBS slug on the pip of a playing card all day at 50 yards 3 shot group. Tentative plans are for said rifle to arive on Sunday.

woods

MR-7's have 6 groove button rifled barrels of normal configuration. No micro.

Posts: 57 | Location: Far North Western Mongolia | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woods, I don't know how to post pics here, but if you'd like I can e-mail you a couple of pages from the '96 Marlin catalog regarding the MR-7. It's the cover feature for that catalog as well. First year listed I think and only listed in 270 and 30-06. Later the 25-06 was added. Maybe others too, I disremember. Regards, Woody

Posts: 98 | Location: S.E. Oregon too close to PRK | Registered: 28 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys, Thanks for the info. Even though I fired a few groups with this rifle over the years, it was my buddy's and I never gave it the once over like a rifle I might buy for myself. You fellers have filled in the missing links. For some reason I have wanted a 25-06 ever since my buddy got this one. Probly cause I have had such good luck with my Roberts. The Roberts has made me a 1/4 bore fan. Years ago a favorite ex-brother-in-law had a mod 99 Savage in 250-3000 and we enjoyed it very much also. He got a chance to make an elk hunt year and thought he needed more gun and traded it for a mod 70 30-06 never thinking I'd have given him the trade in value the gun shop did. Oh well! My daughter and I have had a bunch of fun shooting anything and everything through the Roberts over the years and this 25-06 will be more of the same. We have shot a lot of buckshot loads and cast bullets though it just for fun. Plan to do the same with this 1/4 bore. Gosh, now if I could just get that Savage back!

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote