New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Felix...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
First off...thanks for the lead to this site! I wanted to ask you about those 2000+ FPS loads with the Lee 113 gr. 30 cal flatnose in my 30-30. What kind of powder should I use & what area of charge? I don't have any surplus powder, just alot of "fast & medium burners" & some H-414 on the slow side. Anything would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Newtire

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newtire,

I know you inquired for felix information, but I have been using that slug for awhile in my Model 94’s and my T/C Super 14 Contender—30-30 Winchester being the caliber. I have used IMR-4895, H-110, Unique, Red Dot, SR-4759, WC-680 (AA-1680 burn rate), WC-852 (4831 burn rate), WC-860 (H-870 burn rate), and WC-844 (slow H-335 burn rate). All of these powders would generally keep 3 slugs in 1.0” or a bit less at 50 yards from both the rifle and the handgun. BUT, stability seems to be a problem at 100 yards. WC-844 (2149 fps) seemed to be the best at keeping 3 slugs under 1.5” at 100 yards. I am planning on doing a bit more experimenting with this little bullet, but it just might be a bit too light for the 30-30. I may try pushing it a bit faster with the WC-844 to see if that will help with stability. Good-luck with your efforts…BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix..My target is on it way to you for the postal match. I made a 3.5 X 3.5 inch black square target and was suprised that I could see it any 100 yards. Anyway..I sent ten RCBS 165 Sil/49/WC871/1 cc grex flying its way out of my Remington 03A3. I was tempted to cheat by putting in my worked over cocking piece/sear for a crisp trigger pull, but resisted and shot the group with the creeeeepy milspec trigger. You did say stock military rifle did you not? Anyway..I have done my part for fun and fellowship even if I am not very proud of the target.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Newtire, try 21-23 grains of the 4198 flavor on your bench. The 21 grain load should give you your 2000 plus, and if that is accurate enough, stay there or bounce around that amount a little. The 23 grain load would be maximum in a lever or break open gun. Try some H380 if you have some, say circa 35 grains. The H335/844 is a great powder at circa 28 grains if you have some. I say 28 grains because you might have a fast lot. The 4198 load was given by Buckshot's friend, and I duplicated its accuracy in the 308 using N120 at 23 grains. We are talking 1 inch consistently. Next time you buy some 4198/4227, try some N120 instead. It tends to split the difference. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Charger, I gather that Jump wanted straight up military stuff. However, a tricked up "factory stock part" would be OK by me. In other words, a cleaned up factory sight, rebedded stock (not pillar, or exotic glues, etc.), and factory barrel and action slicked up would be OK. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
BCB, please post some loads with those powders. I want to try them. ... felix

one of us
posted Hide Post
felix,

I sent some data for this bullet to you via an e-mail Excel attachment I sent it to the last e-mail address I have for you. Let me know if it arrives...BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
got it, thanks. ... felix

[ 08-24-2003, 17:19: Message edited by: felix ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
OK! Now that's what I call alot of answers. Thanks all you guys! I got the H-4227, 4198, and 335 to play around with. That little bullet sure is accurate with 10gr. BlueDot, 15 gr. 4759, 8 gr. Unique so thought I might try for some speed.
Thanks again,
Newtire

Posts: 128 | Location: Star, Idaho | Registered: 01 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newtire,

What are you shooting these little critters in? And what type of accuracy are you getting so far? I have found they do well at 50 yards, but become somewhat undependable at 100 yards. Just curious...BCB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Felix, thanks for helping us "long lost lurkers" to find our way back. I don't usually have anything to add for you guys, but I have missed reading your posts the last few days. Well, looks like everything is almost back to normal. Be sure to find Bruce B. Thanks again, Felix, for "looking our for us". Vince from MO

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey BCB,
Finally saw my old post again. This site don't work like Shooters...Anyway, been shooting the Lee 113 gr. in a Black Shadow 94 I bought last year. So far, tried 7.5 gr. Unique,10.5 gr. Blue Dot, 14.3 gr. SR4759, and 16.3 gr. H-4227. All of these loads printed inside 2" @ 100 yds. Have a 4X scope, use hardened WW. Liquid Alox lube, sized .311", Lee "Factory Crimp" CCI250 primers & no filler or tipping muzzle. WW brass, trimmed uniform 2.028" and all primer holes uniformed..if any of this makes any difference. Oh, OAL is 2.315". All feed thru magazine & grave the rifling. That bullet, the Lee 150 gr. FlatPoint, & the Lyman 311041 are doing great in that gun.