Find
Notify
Tools

Stained glass lead came for bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted
I just scored 300# of lead came. The stuff for doing stained glass.
Has anybody used this for bullets? Its not pure lead, its harder than pure lead, I can bearly scratch it with a finger nail, and is more maluble than wheel wieghts.

I did a search and the latest posts on this material are 4 years old. hoping for some results from those expirements.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say that the consituency really doesn't matter. If it fills the mould properly, and is sized right to fit the bore, what difference does it make? I don't mean this to sound smart, but just try pouring and lubing some bullets. If they work, they work. If they don't fill out the mould, then you will have to play with alloying of some kind.

Good luck!!

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading somewhere that it is lead plus some antimony, and it is available with different amounts of antimony for different purposes, so there is no telling exactly what you have except to say that it is lead plus some antimony. You fingernail test sounds about right.

If it is too soft for your purposes, blend it half and half with WW and heat treat, the result should be fine for 90% of anything that a cast bullet can do.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 454PB
posted Hide Post
Seems to me I read or saw a TV show about stained glass, and they used a high quality solder for that work.

If that is true, you own some valuable alloy!

If it was mine, I'd do more research before using any large quantities. 50/50 bar solder is like $7 per pound.

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Posts: 52 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
No, its not 50/50, I wish! Stained Glass work does use 50/50 or 60/40 to solder the came together. I did pick up a 5# block of wiring Solder (50/50) for a buck at the same yardsale though. Woo Hoo!

Unfortunatly there are no markings on the boxes that tell me the manufacturer. There are only a couple that acctually make the raw product. From what I can gather its 99% lead with the balance tin, antimony, copper and bismouth. The copper supposedly makes the alloy keep a bright finish. Which this stuff has. Its supposedly 10 years old or more and its as bright as new. What supprises me is the hardness with the high lead content. I need to make a hardness tester.

I guess I'm just going to have to try it.
I wonder what bismouth will do? I know its used to lower melt temps at higher percentages.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since came is worth about US$2.00 to $4.50 a strip, it would seem that you might find a favorable trade for it, or sell it to a glass worker for enough to buy a larger quantity of wheel weights or cable sheathing.
Ross

Posts: 117 | Location: Darkest California | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote