Find
Notify
Tools

WC-820 and Lee C429-310
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
First my batch of old WC-820 is H110 Speed (I shot it side by side with H110 in one day to compare it way back when I got the WC-820). And I luckily still have about 18 pounds left!!!!!!!

Looking to see what ya think about reasonable loads with the 310 grainers I finally got cast up and lubed (with Felix Lube of course).

I made the mistake of looking at my Hodgdons Manual and it lists a max 0.6 grains below what I am currently shooting with 300 grain jacketed bullets (that load came from a Hornady manual). I forgot to mention that I do have AND use the second (back) crimping groove on the Hornadys. The case falls from the Redhawk and Super RH cylinders so they must be fairly reasonable at that level. Heck they fell from the cylinder at one full grain of powder more, but they just were not as acurate so the load must be "safe" in my guns.

THESE ARE NOT RELOADING RECOMMENDATIONS

The two schools say, "cut back for cast, since cast bullets seal better", "no need to cut back, one can actually increase the load because cast has lower coeffieient of friction".

Since some on this board "might" have an opinion, I thought I would ask what you think!

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If it burns like H-110, I'd look around 20.5 to 21.5gns as a max load. I have pushed 330gn cast to 1500 from a SRH. These were probably toooo hot and should have been backed off.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
TCLouis - I'd love to hear what you get if you decide to chrono that 18.5 load with the Lee 310. I shoot the Lee bullet over H110. I am considering an order of WC820. I'd like to get 1150+ fps from my 4 and 5/8 SBH. I believe 21 grains of H110 will do it but I don't have a chrono to check.

Posts: 2 | Location: Florida | Registered: 30 November 2004Reply With Quote