New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3mm
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone got cast in this caliber? I got a 9.3x57 to try out with a throat for heavy bullets.

posted Hide Post
I play with this caliber (as does Dep'ty Al). Mine (moulds) are used in 9.3x74R. Are you looking for a PB or partial condom boolit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Mountain Molds design created by Eirik on this board. It is nominally a 270 grain FN with gas check. It's shank portion is .600" long, which should give you some reach into that longer throat you describe in your rifle.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
NEI and Lyman made 366 dia moulds. The hard part was finding a 369 sizer die. I finially had RCBS make one. I have some load data if anyone is interested. wrg-inc

Posts: 21 | Location: Hampton, Virginia | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!
I'm looking for a long heavy bullet so I can try this thing out. Any bullets or mold loans would be appreciated. The barrel has a long throat in it, so I need several types to try. The 9.3x57 is set up for a 286 grain bullet. From what I have read, the lighter 232 doesn't shoot well and the 270 speer is soft. Cast should be the way to go here, since I can get full velocity and regulation (fixed sights!).

posted Hide Post
I had Mountain moulds make a 9.3 mm mould for my 9.3X74R. It was a dual cavity with one, .358 for my Whelen and the other .366 for my Martini, with both being copies of the 358009. The 9.3 bullet has only 2 lube grooves in it so they're easier to tell apart. The 9.3 all dressed up with lube and a gas check weighs in at 292 gr.

I also bought one of the Lee 280? gr .358 moulds. I had good success paper patching. With 14 gr. of Red it was as accurate as the Mountain mould. But with a stiffer charges they start to wander.

cannonier

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that I made my sizing die from a spare .358 die. The die wasn't hard so I chucked it up in the lathe and ran a Letter U drill through it. The U is listed at .368". It is a little over the diameter of my bullets but they didn't need sizing anyway, just lubing. It crimps the .375 gas checks on but I did polish the inside for smoother operation. Also had to make a new "I" rod to fit the new bore.
Cannonier

Posts: 8 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote