Notify
Tools

Re: Lyman Master Casting Kit
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of poletax
posted
I bought one thru Mid South Shooters Supply
It contained a 4500 Lubrasizer,melting pot,ladle,ingot mold,Lymans Cast Bullet Book and a thermometer..
It was a very, very good deal at $127.25 shipped to me.
I don't think it can be beat.
It is part number 015-2712000.
Go to their website and check it out.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
personaly i think its a good way to get started casting. just about everything except a sizer die is included. I too prefer bottom pour pots but for a beginner ladle casting is the way to go.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Keep in mind in casting equipment, optics, guns, politicians and whores you get exactly what you pay for!
I have an old 20 lb. Lyman pot that I started using 20 some odd years ago. I semi retired it in favor of the RCBS pot because I would spout freeze during the colder months of the year, when I do most of my casting. The first pot I bought was a Lee 10 lb pot the first year Lee made them. I retired this pot because the 10 lb capacity, low wattage made bullet casting a major chore. I still have it.
What I'm getting around to, is you can start low end and work your way up, like I did, or you can save money, frustration and buy the good stuff in the begining.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I also have a Lee bottom pourer that I use all the time. The little Lyman that came with the Master Caster Kit has never been plug in.
I also like and use the Lee aluminum molds. Their Tumble lube bullets are hard to beat. Just a little messy.
I buy molds at yard sales(this IS West Virginia) and gun shows that I don't even need. A man can't have too many toys.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Seems to be a fair number of Virginia, West Virginia bullet casters.
We may need to form a bullet casting group for info and getting together and shooting, telling lies and drinking coffee or moonshine.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Seems to be a fair number of Virginia, West Virginia bullet casters.
We may need to form a bullet casting group for info and getting together and shooting, telling lies and drinking coffee or moonshine.
Jim

I'm game. It is starting to cool off a little.Gonna be some pretty days for shooting.
Plus it gives me an excuse to go shooting.
'But Honey,these guys are from outta state.I have to go.'

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey ya'll. Thanks for all the good tips. BTW I'm in SW Viginia near Bristol VA/TN.

Posts: 173 | Location: Meadowview Virginia | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the Lee 20# pot and a ladle. Unsized boolits are more accurate. I rub Felix lube in the grooves by hand and push the boolits through either a home made brass tube or an oversize Lee sizer to get the excess lube off without sizing. Takes a little time but accuracy is well worth it. I only use my lubrisizer to seat gas checks. I don't push boolits in any farther then needed for this but the Lee sizer will seat checks good by pushing the boolits through upside down. For round nose, just push through right side up. All of my lubrisizers mess up boolits by sizing more on one side then the other. The Lee does not do this.
I don't know how guys do it, but I never have cast a good boolit from the bottom pour spout. Been trying for 45 years.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 475/480
posted Hide Post
When I first started to cast I bought the Lyman kit a few years ago for 99.00 at Midway,then I found 2 old ac tanks and and cut them in two 1 for smelting the other smaller one for ladle casting on the turkey fryer ,has worked great and never used the lyman pot that came with the kit,also that ladle is useless for big bullets 475 and 50 cal .I still use the 4500 though.
I agree with bfrshooter about the bullet sizers being offcenter always
Sean

Posts: 562 | Location: Houston Tx | Registered: 23 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arky, we could pick up Hobie on the way to Bristol.

Be late winter, early spring, before the applejack is ready, though, and you are gonna hafta drive.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
We'll lay the back seat down and let those who need to stretch out.
Of course they may be snoozing on ammo and guns.
Jim