New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mystery Molds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Among the 19 molds I got in a deal for a Maaster Caster are a few I don't recognize:

Unmarked iron blocks, .361 rear drive band dia. x .847 length RNFP GC, two lube grooves and a crimp groove

Unmarked iron blocks, .317 x 1.226 SP with a .308 bore riding nose

Unmarked iron blocks .268 x 1.029 RN GC bore rider

Marked Saeco 449, .434 TC design with a small meplat, looks like a penetrator missing the very point?

Marked Saeco 454 F8G, a .456? diameter big meplat SWC GC design

Anyone familiar with these? I feel a mold clearence sale in my future if the Master Caster works well. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BD,
A picture would help. There are some different ways the blocks are made. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BD-
I would be very interested in the first three unmarked (.361", .317", .268") molds, if you want to sell them. Molds of other manufacturers were converted to the Magma machines and some Magma blanks were by custom mold makers. NEI used to do this also. Anything is possible in this case!

one of us
posted Hide Post
BD, Marty told me that most of the blocks were cut by NEI. If I understood correctly, they are Magma blocks. Marty said he designed the .361 himself for the 357 Max. That's one of the ones I cast a bunch of before shipping the caster out - it looks like a good 'un. Tony

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a digital camera or I'd post pix. Keep in mind that these molds are set up for the Magma Master Caster and do not all have the usual handle screws or sprue plate arangements for hand casting. I'm still figuring out what I may want or need, and what I want to sell. I found three more molds today when I unpacked the machine, (thanks Tony!) and there appear to be at least 5 sets of duplicates. If this machine works out I may be wanting to sell some of my hand casting molds as well. Maybe whittle the collection down to 40 molds or so... Email me at bdallam@NOSPAMime.net (remove the NOSPAM of course) with specific questions. I don't know when I'll have time to actually cast all of them to measure as cast dimensions, it may be awhile. BD

Posts: 163 | Location: Greenville, Maine | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote