Find
Notify
Tools

Dies And Top Punches For Lyman 45
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Can the dies and top punches for the Lyman 450 and RCBS Lubrisizer fit the Lyman 45? Also can the Lyman 45 seat gas checks?

Which should I stay away from?

Thanks.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
If you can afford it, by all means go with the star sizer. I'm borrowing a buddies, and it sure is nice.

I'm not sure if my lymann is a 45 or 450, I think it is a 450 with the older linkage. I did eventually break the linkage, but was too cheap to pay $20 for the new parts and elected to weld up the broken pieces.

Anyhow, I've never used the gas check seater. I simply put the gas checs on by hand, and then run them through just like a plainbase bullet.

The nice thing about the 450 and RCBS is the amount of dies and top punches floating around. If I were to buy new, I'd go with the RCBS.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS would be my pick, even if it cost $20-$30 more because of the no-nonsense forever and a day warranty coverage that they will really honor.

Lyman sometimes is on the ball, and sometimes they are not so on the ball for the extended forever warranty coverage.

Eventually, you will try bumping up a too hard or too thick bullet and you will break a toggle linkage bolt or bend up a return strap. It's nice when the replacement parts (and a fresh set of O rings) are tetotally free.

Oldfeller

Posts: 386 | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Paul, Oldfeller,

Thanks for the replies. I have a line on a really nice condition Lyman 45 and asked the same question of the seller. Intrigued, since he did not know, he tried some and found the dies and top punches are in fact interchangeable. Unfortunately the press is missing the little plunger thingie that pushes the sized bullet back up out of the die. I am going to call Lyman in the morning and ask if this part is available. This is a neat old press in almost new condition. For $24.00 I cannot go wrong (if I can get parts).

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Buy it!

You can check with Lyman on parts, but I'm sure they are available. When I got my 450, it was missing the threaded collar that keeps the sizing die in place, as well as the collar on the top of the lube shaft. I think even with shipping I was out less then $5, and had the parts inside a week.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
nitroman....The small plunger may be the same on the #45 and #450. If not, a few minutes work on a 1/4 X 28 bolt from the hardware with an electric drill and a file will fix you right up. One of us can post the dimensions if need be.

The dies and TPs are all interchangeable. Lyman and the RCBS stuff. On the Lymans, steer clear of the sizing dies without the o-ring at the top. Most are the old style without a tapered leade into the sizer and sometimes give trouble. Even the old Lachmiller dies will work as I have several out there that are still in use.

Given my druthers, I'd grab a #450 because of the avilability of parts. RCBS is fine also./beagle

[

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lymans have a ratchet wrench to force the lube. Older RCBS did too,but newer RCBS use a toggle handle--which I don't like. The RCBS seems to hold pressure better. You cant just change the bolt in a new RCBS to convert to ratchet--not interchangable. You can mill a hex on the bolt of the newer RCBS and convert to ratchet feed.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote