Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

lead cost?
 Login/Join

posted
been doing some asking around at local tire shops to get some free w.w. to get started casting. everybody says that they sell them for scrap. they said they would sell them to me for scrap prices but nobody knows what scrap prices are. so my question is what is the scrap price for lead w.w.?

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Call your local scrap yard and ask them.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most areas folks seem to have to pay for wheel weights----I can still get them free here. $20 for 5 gallon bucket seems going rate.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I used to be able to get ww's for $20/5 gal bucket, which is a great deal considering they typically yield 100+#'s of ingots. But then my sources dried up, fortunately I have a few buckets left.

Sometimes a case of beer works even better than offering cash. Worth a try.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got several free buckets of WW's but in the end a LOT of them are zinc or steel.Even the stick on ones that used to be close to pure are now zinc. I would NEVER pay for a bucket of them. If I can't get them free I don't need them. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The major scrap yard here won't sell lead to individuals, seems it's hazardous material. Damn politicians and tree huggers.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just call a local scrap yard and ask what there paying for WW. last week the local price in mid michigan was .10 a lbs. as of late i have been getting a about 20% junk (clips steel zinc). i found a shop to sell me ww by giving more then the scrap yard. scrap yard .10 i give .12-.13. one place save them for me because i bring them donuts 1 box for a 5gal pail. a good sources for ready to cast ingots is the trade forum on castboolt board. at this time i have ingots for sale 50+lbs for $52.00 shipped this is pot ready Clint

Posts: 390 | Location: out side lansing mi | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up 120 lbs for $120.00 including shipping from eBay, these are large ingots ready for the pot. At that price I don't mess with WW, too much scrap

Posts: 46 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: 30 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've stopped usung wheel weights. I work at a hospital, and the nuclear medicine department gets their isotopes in lead jars, called "pigs." They are free for the asking. Unlike wheel weights, they are clean, no steel clips, and no inclusion of zinc wheel weights. They are 97% lead, 3% antimony, just like modern wheel weights.
If you know anybody who works in a radiology department, ask them about it.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty,

My wife works at one of the local hospitals. I'm going to have her ask about the leftover "pigs. Thanks much for that tip!!!

George

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WYNN:
I just picked up 120 lbs for $120.00 including shipping from eBay, these are large ingots ready for the pot. At that price I don't mess with WW, too much scrap

The only issue ww/ ingots form e-bay, you have no idea what you are buying. If the supplier has cast any zinc into the ingots, they are going to be almost useless for casting good bullets. I prefer buying the ww & then smelting. If you KNOW the supplier knows what he is doing, then yo umay be getting a decnt product. Still, $1/# is pricey. Most scrap guys are paying around 20c/#, so offer 50c/#, just keep in mind that more & more zinc, steel & other non lead ww are in the buckets. My last 5ga bucket had about 35% waste out here in Kalif.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What is the going rate for scrap linotype?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recycler is paying .08 and selling for .45 per pound. I still am picking them up at tire stores for 25 dollars for a five gallon bucket.