Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 Mold recommendations
 Login/Join

posted
I purchased one of the new Winchester / Miroku Hi-Wall's in 38-55. I have slugged the barrel and found it to be a .376. My next purchase needs to be of course a mold. The primary purpose for this firearm is paper-punchin at 100 and 200 yards, I don't foresee knocking down steel targets at these ranges. With that said accuracy is my first concern, and economy second. So if a 250 Gr. PB will fly as accurately as a heavier gas check that is the way I will probably go. I have a lubrisizer and will purchase the sizing die and top punch based on my mold purchase. Load recommendations would also be appreciated. TIA

Posts: 13 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
rikkit

I don't have a 38-55, I do have a 375 Whelen, on a Mark X action, that only shoots cast bullets. I have found that RCBS, Lyman, Saeco molds give me very accurate bullets. I think the edge goes to the RCBS bullet followed by the Saeco, then the Lyman. The Lyman may be less accurate because of me, the recoil is greater with a 270 grain bullet vs 250 grains and 265 grains.
Almost forgot my NEI 300 grain bullet mold. This is a wonderfully accurate bullet with the bore riding band up front. This bullet also gives a good thump to the shooter, but seems to put the bullets right into the X-ring each time. I know it seems a bit odd that the 300 gives better accuracy then the 270 Lyman with increased recoil of the 300.
These are all gas checked bullets. I've used various alloys, finding that wheel weights with some linotype or tin added to aid in filling out, water quinched at casting. I sized the bullets .378, lube with LBT Blue.
Hope this helps
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Lyman 375249. I would size to .377 or .378 to start. Use 18 gr. H4227. Accurate in both my .38-55s (one of which was sent to "pay-for-the-divorce" hell [Frown] ).

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger No. 1 in 38/55 with a 1:16in twist topped with a 25x Lyman "All American" . 16gn 2400 with a 300gn cast bullet gives 1300fps. I built this rifle for shooting cast lead at 100 & 200yards.
At this velocity cast bullets are least affected by wind and 10 shot 200yard groups are as small as 1.5" on a still day.
My mould is made locally in brass by CBE and casts 376. Try this link

http://www.users.bigpond.com/ammodump/cbe.html

[ 11-08-2003, 15:26: Message edited by: Bad Ass Wallace ]

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Hobie
quote:
Lyman 375249. I would size to .377 or .378 to start. Use 18 gr. H4227. Accurate in both my .38-55s ( one of which was sent to "pay-for-the-divorce" hell
Them Staunton girls are pure hell to get rid of. Time, money, peace and serenity would best be served by using that 38-55 270 grain slug behind one or the other of the ex-wifes ears at 1,200 to 1,400 fps.
Been rid of my Staunton girl for nearly 30 relatively calm, quiet, enjoyable, sane years. Damn that woman could talk longer and say less then any politician. The worst part of it was, she would tell you the same nothing three times, just to make sure that you knew that she said nothing.
Jim

[ 11-08-2003, 15:36: Message edited by: arkypete ]

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hobie,
You referenced a Lyman 375249 mold, I couldn't locate this one in my Lyman literature.
I did find a 375248 PB and a 375449 GC listed, could you have meant either one of these. Thanks again.

Posts: 13 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use a magma 245gr mould(253 gr w/my alloy)my win 94 sluggs .377 and size .3785 on a star lube sizer.the win shoots sweet with this bullet.
powders that have worked best.
AA5744
RL7
IMR 3031
pete

Posts: 8 | Location: texas | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still mixed up with a Staunton girl and planning to keep her. (What are the odds of that, small as Staunton is and small as this board is?)

I did note a couple of months back that Midway had a special order .38-55 mould from Lee at a very decent price.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Leftoverdj
Chuckle
Anytime I get the urge to cozy up to any female, other then meaningful overnite, I ask my buddy for the borrow his 454 Casull and go shoot fifty rounds as fast as I can. I find that I spent a lot of money, my ears are ringing, my arm and wrist are killing me and all I have to show for the effort is some empty brass that I have no use for. In other words it's just like being married.
Back to bullets.
I bought a Lyman 270 grain gas checked bullet from a fellow in the Cast Bullet Association, many years ago. This bullet has had the nose portion lapped to be bore riding. This bullet was very accurate not as accurate as some of my other molds.
It's relatively easy to lap the nose portion of the bullet, should the mold's nose portion be some what undersized.
Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rikkit,
That Lyman 375449 seems to work really well with barrels that slug .376 or under. Probably a good choice for your rifle. The 375248 casts a bit larger and would require more sizing, not always good.

I have two plain base molds, a Lyman 378674 at 335 grains, and a Mountain Molds brass at 280 grains. Both work very well with black, using small booster charges of Red Dot. Also have used the RCBS gas check design, at 270 grains, with some success. Smokeless, RL12 and IMR3031 have worked well with the gas checked bullets.

Lots of choices out there, and nearly all of them work well with some development.

Best,
Ernie

Posts: 52 | Location: Spring Creek, NV | Registered: 18 September 2002Reply With Quote
<J�rgen>
posted
I can only recommend the SAECO moulds (that`s the only one I tried in my 38-55 so far) but CBE in Australia made two different moulds for me and these are nothing short but JEWELS ! Excellent workmanship and excellent prices !
Just my 2 cents worth .......J�rgen [Big Grin]