New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lee C-452-300-RF
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anybody casting this LBT-style slug? I've read where it throws alot heavier than the 300 grains advertised, can anybody confirm? Lee says it's .452 and I need a .453 or .454. Can it be 'bumped up' easily, and if so how? Should the mold be lapped? Does anybody know the meplat diameter? Tried working it through a lever gun? I'm planning on loading it up in a Puma .454 near 2000 fps (and ~55k psi). Would quenched WW alloy be hard enough (with gas check) to prevent leading if sized properly?
Thanks!

[ 11-07-2003, 07:05: Message edited by: Waterfowler ]

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Should they put pictures of missing husbands on beer cans?
Might be a good idea. I'd see myself more often that way than looking in a mirror while shaving.

Posts: 56 | Location: fallon, nv. | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waterfowler, I have that Lee mold in a two cavity. It casts at about 305 grains with my alloy which is wheelweights and a little linotype. That weight is prior to adding lube and gas check. The meplat is .370 wide. As cast diameters run .452 to .453 measured on two different places on the same bullet.

I have not "Beaglized" the mold yet, but will do so before casting any more. Beagling is done by putting thin, short strips of aluminum tape on the inside faces of the mold. It opens the mold up about two to three thousands of an inch. You can probably get more info on beaglizing on the Castpics site.

I will be testing these bullets in a 454 Casull Puma lever action imported by Legacy Sports. I just got my mold last weekend and have not loaded any to test if they feed properly.

The Lee 255 grain round flat nose bullets feed flawlessly in my Puma. They are available in a six cavity Lee mold. Turbo

Posts: 38 | Location: Tigard, Oregon | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive tried it. Never did get real good accuracy out of my .45s with it but i didnt work to hard at it either. With that big metplat it ought to really wack something though. I believe they were running around 315 lubed and gas checked. You may be about to get the size you desire by using 5050 ww and lynotype. If not a little lapping will take care of it.

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, guys. Turbo, I'm very interested in hearing how that bullet feeds and shoots from your Puma. Should be a real meat slapper. Keep me informed.
Thanks again.

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote