THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

270 Winchester...is it the ideal cast caliber?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
You telll me. I haven't shooten cast in one. A friend has several and I've handloaded for it in 2-3 guns with jacketed. Highly unfussy... accurate as heck with most anything...

The industry spec for the leade angle is get this: 22 minutes per side. 06 and 08 go around 1.8 degrees per side. This has to bode well for cast shooten....

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
aladin,

I don�t know if it is IDEAL for cast but I do shoot the Lyman 280642 in a Model 700 that I have. Accuracy is quite good with XMP-5744 @ right around 1650 fps. I have several 10-shot groups that measure in at 1.25� and if I eliminate one of the 10 holes, I get close the M.O.A. accuracy at 100 yards. With the 12x �scope, 16 ounce brew cans are dead at 150 yards. Other powders that I have tried include 5010-PD @ 2375 fps, SR-4759 @ 2167 fps, WC-860 @ 2184 fps, and Unique (not chronographed�terrible accuracy). Accuracy is best, it seems, if velocities are less than 2000 fps. The bullets are cast from an alloy of 2-1 (ww-#2) alloy and then heat treated in the oven. They are shot as cast with only the check seated at 0.278�. I really done limited testing with this rifle/bullet so maybe this Spring/Summer I will try for better results�BCB

Posts: 212 | Location: WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
All we need is a smaller case. PPC necked up? 30 Russian necked down? Or what about 30 Herret necked down? 223 necked up? Cool, Aladin, for finding out that lead-in angle. I wonder how many reamers adhear to that small SAMMI spec at 1/3 degree per side? Actually, 1 degree per side would be great for most of our boolit styles. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All we need is a smaller case. PPC necked up? 30 Russian necked down? Or what about 30 Herret necked down? 223 necked up? Cool, Aladin, for finding out that lead-in angle. I wonder how many reamers adhear to that small SAMMI spec at 1/3 degree per side? Actually, 1 degree per side would be great for most of our boolit styles. ... felix

Felix all the 270 chambers I've looked at in the last couple yrs had a very gradual taper to the leade. I did see a Ruger yrs ago with something different, but Ruger's tend to vary greatly per throating... even between Rugers. Not to trash them too much, I've owned many but never again.

I saw a Ruger 06 on the rack yrs ago with NO throat. Lands weren't angled a-tall either. Another 77's threads were cut so poorly to the extent that the receiver alignment was off almost 1/8".

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote