New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best 30 Cal. Boolit for accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm going to ask another question if you guys don't mind. I have been casting pistol bullets for a while now, but am now ready to cast for an old pre-war model 70 in 30-06 Govt.

I'm not that concerned with weight as I will not be pushing them very fast, but I think i will prefer a gas checked bullet. What do you guys recomend or prefer?

Thanks

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
While not the best bullet or any given situation, I've always had very good luck with ALL 30 cals when starting with the Lyman 311041 bullet, 173 grain gas checked flatnose. As I said, there are better bullets for specific tasks, but if I could only have one bullet mould for my 30's that would be it.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
If the 041 does not shoot, then the 291 will. I think the 291 will shoot in more different guns well than the 041. It's not the design so much, as it is the boolit diameter that comes from most of these molds using WW or some other cheap scrap. Lots of us have been having extremely good luck with the RCBS 165 grainer sillywet boolit in terms of excellent accuracy in both 12 and 10 twist barrels. However, the RCBS molds tend to make smaller diameter boolits, say 310 for sure, and maybe 311 if there is some quantity of antimony in the lead. If you have a large necked chamber, then go first with the 291 boolit. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too like the 311291, but find that if you don't have a mould that makes the nose big enough, they don't shoot for crap. I use the 291 a lot, but if the nose section doesn't cast at least .301...bad groups. I find the 311041 more forgiving in that dept. As I said, there are some bullets that will shoot better in different applications.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm going to ask another question if you guys don't mind. I have been casting pistol bullets for a while now, but am now ready to cast for an old pre-war model 70 in 30-06 Govt.

I'm not that concerned with weight as I will not be pushing them very fast, but I think i will prefer a gas checked bullet. What do you guys recomend or prefer?

Thanks

Mike

Yrs ago I coulda agreed with the suggestions you've rec'd. While a bore riding design that fits is simple to make shooten acceptable, I've went to bullets with a bearing surface of at least two calibers minus the bore rider. Give this type of bullet enough metal gripping surface, ie- increase it's strength, and these will shooten with a bore ride design especially were the speed is turned up. Set them into the lands for forward alignment and make the rear dia at least the equal dia of the throat entrance-- and your in business.

Shooten cast is about pre-shot alignment and there's differing ways to accomplish this. Then give the bullet a square base for a uniform exit at the crown. Adjust the dia/hardness of the alloy and then search out a accuracy node per barrel harmonics. Then...... you get the picture.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soundman,
I like the 311332 and 311334 Lymans and the RCBS 165 and 180's. The usually shoot good in any 30 cal bolt rifle. In my 1903 the 311332 and 311334 shoot 1.5-2" groups at 100 with no problem. The RCBS will do 1.5-2.5" groups also with very little load refinement. I have work with the Lymans more in load development. Mark

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
any of the Loverins...my favorite is the 311407 FN. Don't fill all the lube grooves...try 2 to start with. If I could only have one 30 caliber mould, this would be it, and I have 5 of them in my collection and NO, ain't none of them for sale or trade! If you can't find a 407, then use a 311467, these are more common but have a pointed nose. They shoot great too.

Posts: 288 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 23 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The most accurate 30 cal. cast bullet I have found is the RCBS 165 SIL. As cast from WW they run a uniform .310 on the shank and .301 on the nose. I also like 311291 as well. I have four moulds in that number than span 60 years of Lyman production life and they vary quite a bit. They run on the shank, 309,313,315 and .317 with the nose being .298,300,301 and .302. These dimensions are from Lyman No. 2 alloy. With this range of dimensions I can fit just about any 30 cal rifle. 311291 is also a very good hunting bullet. I have also had good luck with 311334 and 311466 and 311467 both of which are Loverin designs.

However for your first mould in a commercial rifle, I would strongly suggest the RCBS 165 SIL sized .310. I think you will be pleased. Just remember that you must clean all of the metal fouling out of your barrel before shooting cast. Clean all the way down to the steel.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soundman,
The most accurate boolits I've ever used is Lyman 311644, one of the newer designs. Plenty of 1" to 1.5" groups out of my .30-06. It is the boolit I use in reduced course Highpower matches!
However, I would not use it for hunting because the meplat isn't very big. I think that 311041 or 311291 would be better for hunting, although not as accurate in my rifles.--JDL

Posts: 61 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

...anyone use the 311284 210gn round nose?

<Guest>
posted
The 311284 in my old 03A3 match rifle with non-descript heavy barrel (no idea whose barrel it is, I put it on there in 1969 and it's been there ever since) would hold about MOA for ten rounds prone out to 300 yards. I say "would" because I have not fired it in 15 years or so. This load and rifle were primarily responsible for my first Master classification in 1973, 'cept I used Sierra's at 600 and out.

"The Load" was 311284 cast out of straight wheelweights, no legerdemain to attempt hardening in those days, didn't need it. Sized .309, Lyman Deluxe lube (NRA Alox-BW formula), "old" Hornady gas checks (the "new" ones ~ current production~ are too big for the shank of this mould); 42 grains WW II surplus 4831, 1/4 sheet TP over the powder; Rem 9-1/2 Primer, FA cases. I never chrono'd these, but in correspondence with Col. Harrison, he estimated about 2000 fps.

Sadly, I am nearly out of that old 4831

Resp'y,
Bob S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent Bob...

Wow 300yd moa. I had no Idea what that mold would do, but when I saw it, I just knew I had to have it. I haven't used yet, but I've got a Ruger #1 in 300 win mag that's a tack driver, I'd like to use it on, and a 3006.

Fantastic...can't wait to cast her.

Master classification in 1973... explain...