Find
Notify
Tools

Where do ya' recon?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rimfire cases for loading???
Though I can see some applications, this doesn't really appeal to me. I just wonder WHERE THEY CAME FROM? This is the first time I have seen anything of the sort. Is there data out there? I would suppose they would be useful for necking down to .17, or something like that. It just fascinates me, the things people can come up with!
Ebay link-Rimfire cases

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years back I saw primed rf cases for some of the obsolete cartridges for sale. They made some sense.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 1880's up to about 1920 empty rimfire cases were available for loading. I believe several of the fancy target rifles were loaded with a rimfire cartridge with powder and an overwad. then a false muzzle was placed on the rifle and the paper patched bullet was forced down the barrel engraving the rifling. I believe Harry Pope thought this was the best method for target accuracy. I owned a Pope barreled single shot many years ago with a false muzzle and an old timer told me this. (He was 80+ years in 1961) I have seen references to this in books saying it was done with center fire too.

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A fellow by the name of Fred Hunnington used empty(spent)rimfire cases and swaged them into a bullet. In his backyard shop,he developed a press for doing such. His friends all wanted one of the presses. He had a love of shooting rock chucks. So he called his press the Rock Chuck Bullet Swage. Better known now as simply RCBS. It ends with it--but thats no BS.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote