New
Find
Notify
Tools

home made tumble lube
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one got a recipe for home made tumble lube ?, I found a bunch for other type lube.
I do have a gob of bees wax,wondering maybe add something that would keep it more in liquid state , dont know.

Posts: 108 | Location: Ga | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never made any, but have always wondered about a mix of bees wax and Slick 50, add mineral spirits to reach working consistancy. I imagine mineral oil and beeswax may be workable also. Felix is the guy to chime in here, as he knows more about lube than most of us will ever learn. Are these for pistol or rifle? Pistol are alot more forgiving.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7.62X54R, mosin nagant.155 grain cast lee bullet.

Posts: 108 | Location: Ga | Registered: 17 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to have that recipe... maybe a hotter solvent to speed drying?

BH

Posts: 48 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also like to have a recipe for pistol calibers, specially for low smoking.

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone always mentions beeswax in recipes. Where can I get some?? Is it a common item available under another product name??

Brandon

Posts: 28 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is a fairly common item. If you have a local bee keeper, you can probably get some from him.

I get mine from Western Bee, Polson, Montana. They are on the web. Give them a call. Or do a search on the web for beeswax. You'll find plenty.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The May-June issue of the "Fouling Shot", the journal of the Cast Bullet Association, talks about Texaco Taurak 250 being as good, or better than the old Alox 2138.
You might give this a try as a good, off the shelf, tumble lube. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To my way of thinking, you will need some kind of solvent that will get the beeswax and other lubricant materials into a solution that will then dry rapidly and leave the lubricants behind. I don't know what solvent would work with beeswax and the other components. I wonder if there would be something that would dissolve WFFL and then evaporate quickley?
350mag

Posts: 39 | Location: Pilot Station AK | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote