New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microgroove Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took my new Marlin 336A to the range this morning and got consistant 1.5 MOA groups with
311219 (sized .311)/28.5 /IMR3031. I used Felix lube from the big melt, Imperial cases and Remington 9.5 primers. This is a full snort load that run 2,100 fps. So much for the Microgroove barrels that won't shoot cast past 1.6K velocity.

The bullet were sized nose first in Mark's gizzy.

Living with this rifle won't be hard as I rat hole the money to make it into a 25-35.

I also found the sweet spot for my sporter Krag using the same bullet and 16/4759. I used 2cc (20 grains of Precison buffer on top of the powder. Groups were just one ragged hole at 50 yards and 1.5" at 100 yards. I have a Lyman 48 receiver sight mounted. This rifle has been acting like it wants to shoot ever since I got it four years ago giving 2.5 MOA with many loads, but today I got all the old girl has to give with this load.

The rifle has a four digit SN being made in 1895 and the cases were FA 11 06 which were annealed and neck turned. A 108 year old rifle with 98 year old brass. Talk about your vintage stuff! The accuracy even held up for a ten shot group and thirty rounds left good grease star from the Felix lube.

It was a very good morning at the range.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chargar,
Nice shooting! I'm wanting a .30-30 so I may try the Marlin since they are less expensive. I really want a Savage 99 because they seem to have a better feel to me.
A gun show is comming up this weekend and I found one of the '50's model 336A with the half magazine at the last show in nice shape. I'll see what can be uncovered [Wink] .-JDL

Posts: 61 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDL - my step-dad had a 99 in .303 Savage - standard .30 bore, but shot 190's fast. He LOVED it for deer (in Vermont) because of the slightly heavier boolet.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JDL,
I don't know what they were asking for that 336A but if under $275 and the bore is in VG shape you should have bought it. There doesn't seem to be that many floating around. I have a 336A in 35 Rem that I just bought for $250. I'm hoping the 24" barrel shoots better than the 20" barrel 336SC. There's nothing wrong with the 20" SC but even .25" smaller groups would be something with the exact same rounds out of both rifles. All my Marlins are pre 1954 except my 1894FG. Orygun

Posts: 210 | Location: Willamette Valley | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark..I shure do like my 336A. I bought it about ten years ago in a hock shop in Odessa Texas for $150. I bought it because the wood was the best i have ever seen on a factory rifle. I refinished the stock but never shot it. My son went off to college and wanted a deer rifle, so I put a scope on it and gave it to him. He had it eight years and never shot it. Last week he was here and swaped it back to me for a 45 revolver and a Redfield scope (yes, I know..but he was my son).

I love these levergun with half magazine, longer barrels and pistol grip stocks. I have a 64 Winchester, a Marlin 45-70 and now this 336A. These rifle just seem to balance and come to the shoulder right.

Based on my one experience with this one I would not shy away from one with a microgoove barrel.

BTW..please send me an email cgraff@stx.rr.com as i have a boon to beg of thee.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote