Find
Notify
Tools

C358-200 RFN 6-Holer
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I thought that someone was working up an order for a 6 cavity 0.358 200 grain round nose flat point bullet mold.
That would sure be the cats meow for the 357 Herrett and likely for the Whelen also.

So what is the story?

Was I dreaming? [Smile]

LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Louis, a number of people have expressed an interest in the C358-200-RF Batorboolit, but nobody has grabbed this bull by its horns and agreed to honcho it.

What's needed is for someone to agree to start counting up the number of folks who want one, and then collect checks and make the order through Lee. There are several of us who have made these special orders who would be very willing to provide help and guidance to anyone that wants to take on the job. If anyone wants to do this project, feel free to ask for help -- I'm grumble222@yahoo.com.

One word of warning to any prospective mold honchos: When Wally designed the boolit, he ESTIMATED the weight at 200 grains. In the 2-hole molds, though, the ACTUAL weight of the boolit is closer to 220 grains.

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Grumble

thanx for the onformation. That means the cherry they have will still cast "overweight bullets.

I am looking for a VERY heavy 357 Mag bullet, heavy 357 Max/Herrett bullet and 220 goes out beyond the top end of that!

Ok now I am wanting at that shape in 180-200 MAX weight.

So much for that plan!

Thanx, and am awaiting the mold you honchoed.
LouisB

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Maybe we could shorten it to 180 or 200gns and get a run of those since alot of guys already have the 220gn in the 2hole mold.

I'll go in on it either way.

Does Lee cut with a cherry? If so, maybe they could just run it in short. could we do a smaller run if they didn't have to cut a new cherry?
Didn't someone say it was designed to cut it short and use the first lube groove for the gas check?

[ 11-10-2003, 04:59: Message edited by: Lar45 ]

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Okay, I emailed LEE to see if we could get a smaller run than 25 if the cherry still exists. I also asked about the possibility of cutting it short by one lube groove for a lighter bullet. Anybody cut one off to see what they weigh?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee lathe cuts them. I suspect it would be a very simple matter for them to change the progamming to shorten the nose slightly. I also suspect they ain't gonna waive the setup charge for less than 25 moulds.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will buy one of these molds if somebody will get it going.

I cannot be the one to get the bullet rolling because I'm in Sweden... Just placing and receiving a bullet mold is an adventure (and has considerable shipping costs -- I know, I got one of the .358 260gr Lee 6cavity molds)!

As soon as something happens, please post here or with an email to me. I will logon to Midway (Midsouth?)'s webpage and put my VISA where my mouth is!

meplat358

Posts: 7 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
No reply from LEE yet

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Lee cut with a cherry? If so, maybe they could just run it in short. could we do a smaller run if they didn't have to cut a new cherry?QB]
No. Lee molds are cut on CNC equippement. NO cherry... Walking Point wishes they used one though. [Wink]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Lee said thanks for the bussiness, but 25 is still the magic number. I think I've counted about 14 responces here and cast boolits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
From my experience with custom molds, you can't count too much on these online responses for an accurate count of how many molds will sell. Some folks who say they want one won't order, some won't say they they want one online, but will in fact order one. Trying to get a solid count before going ahead just doesn't work.

But, based on the enthusiasm of the responses, you can "guesstimate" how many will sell -- usually, at least 60% more sell than you get pre-orders for. If 15 people commit online before the order, you'll probably have 22+ molds sold when the order is placed, and another 8-10 orders once the skeptical ones see that it is firm order, not just wishful thinking. After all the molds are committed, that's when you'll get another half dozen or so people who just came in late to the deal.

I think with the 1 and 2 cavity molds, because they're inexpensive, you'll get a lot more response, and a lot more double orders.

So, 'twere it me, I'd say you have sufficient interest in your project to proceed. Any that don't sell here will go at a higher price on eBay, so there really isn't too much risk. All IMO, of course.

[ 11-13-2003, 21:08: Message edited by: grumble ]

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nuts. I pushed the wrong button.

[ 11-13-2003, 21:09: Message edited by: grumble ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lars, I'm in.

Post a price and a place to send it, and I'll send a check.

Think Grumble is right on this. Get 15 checks in hand and place the order and the fencesitters will climb on board.

Done some fencesitting myself sometimes.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
count me in

Posts: 4 | Location: scranton Pa | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I will buy one if it is a 6-holer.

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll buy a 6 holer, already got a 2 and don't like it that much, makes good bullets, but just too cheezy, I don't think it will last for too many bullets...the 6 holers feel more like something NEI would have made, not Lee.

regards,
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I agree with poster above: The Lee 6 cavity molds are MUCH superiour to their 2 and single cavity molds. I have both (and like all), but I will pay the extra for the 6 cavity molds.

Boy does that 6 cavity mold crank out a LOT of bullets fast! [Smile]

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote