Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet mold?
 Login/Join

posted
what is the down side to using the lee mold like here at midsouth shooter http://www.midsouthshooterssup...m.asp?sku=0000690346
it's to my understanding it's for using liquid alox. i was wanting to use the kind that size and lube with a stick lube. just curious because i have a buddy that brags on these a lot. keep in mind he don't know anymore than me about this. he just got started quicker and these lee molds were cheeper.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably not as accurate as the sizer/lubricator style. If they are out of round when they come out of the mould, that is how they stay.
You do save the couple hundred dollars over buying moulds that require you to S/L.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dogchaser
posted Hide Post
You can use Alox on any cast bullet just fine.

Most LEE moulds I have used like the one you mention have problems getting the grooved part of the mold to fill out to the full diameter.

In my experience the stick lubes seem to lube better but bullet to bore fit is the most important.

YMMV

Posts: 50 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 27 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks for the help. i just ran up on a magma sizer at not too bad of a deal so i think that i'am gonna get it and just size and lube them that way. i think that i'll be better off in the long run

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lee sells a very inexpensive sizer to run these bullets through after lubing them with the Liquid Alox, they suggest recoating them after sizing.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I have the 200 grain version of that, and shot bullseye with it for a while.

I used straight wheel weights, and when I sized them they keyholed really badly so I'd suggest not sizing them initially and see how they shoot. I used liquid Alox and it may have been more mental but they seem to shoot better if I lubed them twice (lube, let dry them lube lightly again and leave dry for a day then put in a baggie).

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Magma and the heater a couple years ago.
Wonderful investment...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
The guys over at the Cast Bullet Assoc. think the less sizing the better.
There's lots of fellows that use and love Lee molds and products, I on the other hand have had no luck with Lee products. Every Lee mold that I've used ended up going into the recycling bin.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Sharpshooter---"If they are out of round when they come out of the mold that is how they stay". You can read about "beagling" a mold which is putting a strip of metal tape in it so you get a fatter bullet. It is claimed that the bullets remain round. In my way of thinking if the bullet is round after you keep a mold from fully closing, then it wasn't round to begin with. I would also guess the reason roundness is not an issue is that a bullet will get rounded in the barrel and shape when it leaves the barrel is the critical part.

Posts: 3806 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I like lee molds, especially the 6 cavities. I got one of the (as I recall) 200 gr swc tumble lube molds in .451" for my 45 acp, and it's an accurate bullet. For plinking, there is something to be said for casting up a big pile of bullets, tumble lubing, and loading up 100's of rounds.

Honestly I can't think of a lee mold I've had that hasn't been accurate.

BTW, the most accurate load I've ever shot was from my 480 ruger, the bullet was a 310 gr LFN, that I tumble lubed. At 100 yds the 3 shot group was 1 1/2", horrizontally strung. I figure the gun was capable of better accuracy but I just couldn't hold that still.

So unsized and tumble lubed can produce exceptional accuracy, but you might find it lacking for maximum velocity magnum loads. But with 1000 fps and under mild to mid level loads, it's good stuff.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote