The Accurate Reloading Forums
HP molds in 30 caliber

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1811043/m/59410848

02 June 2003, 04:33
Danny Pay
HP molds in 30 caliber
Hi
Do you know a mold maker making Hollow point molds for 30 caliber?please tel me about.
regards
danny
03 June 2003, 10:16
beagle
Danny...no mould makers will take on this task that I know of. If you get a good machinist and the mould of your choice, it's relatively easy to HP either a single cavity or one cavity of a double cavity mould. I normally use a .100" cavity but a .125" will work and then you dress down the point to what diameter you want.

Several of us mess with HPs and the modifying of moulds for HPs. The 311291 makes a good one and so does the 311413. Depends on your needs for the type rifle you're shooting. I just modified a SC 311465 and it's a beauty. Haven't had time to shoot it yet.

We won't do mods but if you locate the machinist, we'll tell you how./beagle
05 June 2003, 11:43
Ed Barrett
If you are only going to make a few HP's you might look at the drill type hollow pointers. I've seen them advertised and a web search should find something. Many years ago I made a jig out of wood and used a drill press to make some hollow point for a friend. This way you are not stuck with the pin size on the die, you can use different sixe drills and different depth holes until you find something that suits you. Just my $.02 worth.