New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody try cast bullets in 50BMG?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just curious. I have a .50 that I don't shoot anymore. Too expensive & way too powerful for plinking @ 100 or 200 yds.
Maybe a 600-700gr. cast bullet with a bunch of Fg BP would be a hoot.
Jack

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might be...I saw an ad a bit back for cast .510 bullets for the .50 cal. Somewhere around 900 grains as I recall. FNFB. If I wanted to plink it though, I'd use round balls and a whiff of Unique. Couple of old lifejackets for filling the case.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I think NEI makes a big mold specifically for the .50BMG... Of Course why the hell would you want to shoot low V cast lead in the thing - kinda defeats the purpose. jhrosier, if your going to shoot cast lead, I suggest you search around for data using IMR4759, it's the powder of choice with reduced loads, and it's nice and bulky so it will fill that monster case.

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
You may be better off trading it. Let's face it, your still talking about a shitload of powder and the primers aren't cheap either. So how much money are you really saving? You can buy salvaged bullets for about a buck a pill from a couple of sources. You already have the loading equipment for this beasty, I assume? To be honest, I would just shoot the thing and worry about the costs later. Besides, you get to answer the inevitable question "What the hell do you use that for" and answer calmly with a straight face "squirrel hunting"

Toolmaker

Posts: 1000 | Location: in the shop as usual | Registered: 03 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toolmaker,
I'm not sure why I would want to shoot cast bullets in the '50...It just seems like a waste for it to sit around for years without being fired at all.
Mebe I should just trade it for something interesting and a little more practical, like a Pedersoli double 45-70?
Jack

Posts: 42 | Location: MA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tool,
Concerning the answer to the question, I was sure it was gonna be "For home defense".
By the way, loaded .50 BMG ammo can be found and had for just over a $/shot. Don't know that I'd want to pull the trigger on that puppy, though.

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toolmaker
posted Hide Post
I wasn't trying to be condescending, my point was that shooting a BMG at 200yards with lead is the equivalent of driving a ferrari in a parking lot at 20MPH... Your really not saving any money anyway - the mold aint cheap(over $150, I think), most lubrisizers don't offer a swage die big enough(Gotta get a special from Stillwell, more $$$) You have to use something like IMR4759 which is more money than say H50BMG, about the only place your saving cash is in the boolit,which you have to take your own time and money to cast. >Jhosier, I think your better off just shooting pulled heads from Mil stuff and going out to a lllooongg range once in a while and put some pills down the barrel. I think in the long run you'll be much happier. If you want a .510 lead gun, think about building a .50-140 on a Ruger action - Paul Jones makes a nifty Spitzer(625grn) and a Semispitzer(650grn) that make a ideal projectile for this cartidge.

Paul Jones Custom Molds

Toolmaker