Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lee soup can 6 cavity mold in 7.62 X 39
 Login/Join

posted
First off and kudos and much thanks to Grumble for his hard work and efforts on this mold order. Shortly after recieveing the mold I quite easily and quickly cast up a one pound coffee can full of these bullets. Grumble asked Lee that the bullets drop a little fat and my mold drops them at .313 out of pure wheelweights. This is perfect in that I can use them in my M44 Mosin Nagant, a CZ 527 in 7.62 X 39 and my .30-30. The first loads were for the 7.62 X 39 trying both Unique and 2400 powders. The Unique load under a .311 sized, checked, and tumble lubed bullet gave me consistant 1 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards. The bullet sized and lubed the same and using 2400 powder was the ticket. It turned in sub one inch groups at 50 yards and would easily keep the 4 inch swinger rockin' at 100 yards. I should have shot it for group a few more times but it was to much fun shootin' at the swinger.
Bottom line is I can't wait to try this bullet in the other calibers and have already loaded some up for the 7.62 X 54R. Once again my thanks to Grumble. I do have one question for a situation I've not ran into before. I was using some primers of dubious origin (they were given to me) and a few times I had light primer strikes and would simply raise the bolt to recock and the round would fire. The primers on these rounds almost appeared pierced. Was this just the double strike or was there something i was missing pressure wise? The primers were WW LR primers and look like they were new in the box. CJ

Posts: 8 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: 10 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the nice words, Curly, but you give me too much credit. All I did was put the proper addresses on the molds so they'd get to the owners preordained by the Fates. The folks at Lee did everything else.

It sure is a great little boolit though, ain't it!

Posts: 300 | Location: W. New Mexico | Registered: 28 December 2002Reply With Quote