New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plain-base molds for .480 Ruger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Please identify plain-base, nose-pour molds satisfactory for Super Redhawk .480 Ruger revolvers, casting a nominal bullet weight between 325 and 380 grains. I intend to load for 1050-1150 ft/sec, regardless of bullet weight.

Single cavity or double cavity molds are what I seek. I anticipate in-production mold [design] will be better value than my attempting to "design" a mold knowing little about the topic.
In terms of quality and durability, what do I look for?
To lubricate and size small quantities of bullets at a time, without using a bench tool, are there choices available other than Meacham T&H's Lubrisizer?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not a nose pour but Lee makes nice bullet molds that are very affordable. http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1197...atalog/bullmol2.html
Hocj Molds also makes molds. http://www.hochmoulds.com/pistol.htm They do offer nose pour but I believe only on custom order for that caliber.
Lee also makes a lube/die kit that uses your single stage press, very economical.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've cast literally thousands of bullets for the 480, from 275 gr to 460 gr. I have never used a nose pour mold, nor do I know of any that are commonly available. The most accurate bullet I've shot from the 480 was from a 4 cavity custom ballisticast mold that dropped a 310 gr plainbase bullet that put 3 into 1 1/2" at 100 yds.

Lee produces a 400 gr plainbase mold, and it makes a very good bullet, 5 will go into 1" at 50 yds.

For custom molds mountain molds produces and excellent and reasonably priced mold, go with the aluminum blocks and just tweak their online software to produce the bullet you want. I have a 275 gr swc pb and a 400 gr XLFN gc mold from mm. Ballisticast makes the finest molds, and they are worth the $. I've had a 4 cavity 310 gr LFN pb, and a 2 cavity 460 gr WFN gc mold.

I've used an old Lyman lube sizer and it works just fine. I've even used Lee tumble lube and shot the 310 gr pb unsized. Should be no problem tumble lubing and shootin the Lee 400's unsized.

I've also used an NEI mold that dropped a 320 gr lfn and 435 gr swc pb, they shot great, and an old LBT 390 gr LFN pb that shot great.

Honestly I have yet to find a bad 475 bullet mold when shot out of the ruger SRH.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have part of my reloading wants taken care of. Many thanks, guys, for your help.
I want to create a modest .480 load -- about 480/325/750-900 fps. I have Lil 'Gun and H110. I am nearly certain these powders are unsatisfactory for the modest load I want. Please identify loads that will do what I seek.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Those powders are great for full power loads, but not so for milder loads. 7 gr of Unique will push a 325 ~700 fps, 10 gr will push it around 1000 fps. You'll likely find the accuracy much better closer to 10 gr of powder.

I've also tried red dot and WAAP for mild loads and the accuracy just wasn't there. Blue dot works well at around 13 gr for 1000 fps with a 275 gr bullet.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Paul: Many thanks for the information. I went to Alliant's web page for .480 Ruger. The minimum charge for Unique is 10.0 grains.

Is Unique forgiving when lighter charges are used? Seven grains is 30 percent under what Alliant publishes as minimum.