Find
Notify
Tools

Postell and Creedmore type bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted
Can someone tell me what makes a bullet a Postell or Creedmore type? I have looked all over the net, but can find no description of either type. I have loaded jacketed bullets for many years, but I am new to cast bullets.

Thanks.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Montana Precision Swaging. They make nice bullets.

Posts: 388 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As I understand it, the Postell bullets were a bore riding design, in that the nose of the bullet was bore-sized, allowing the nose of the bullet to ride the tops of the lands when it was chambered. Go see this link

Posts: 11 | Location: Central Louisiana | Registered: 28 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
PawPawD,

Thank you for the information and websites. The Postell bullet was recommended by a friend, but he could not tell me anything of it's design.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A postell bullet is a bore-rider, but not all bore-riders are postells.

I believe, but cannot confirm, that the postell differs by having a certain type of ogive and tip. Exactly what this "type" is has never been defined to my knowledge.

In the cast bullet world, you will often hear bullet names thrown around, like "LBT", "loverin", and "Keith", yet there is almost never a precise definition of what these terms mean. The original designers never published a formal set of specifications. Instead, they made a bullet that pleased their eye. That design was then copied and modified with many variations.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know, I know!!!!!!!!!!!

Loverin-style bullets are grease grooves all the way to a very short one-caliber radius ogive nose.

What did I win?

Rich
what if: the hokey-pokey IS what it's all about?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many of the Lyman bullets designed by Guy Loverin have a complex ogive that is not a simple one caliber radius. The length of the nose seems to vary, too.

Modern spins on the Loverin design sometimes have flat points, yet they are called Loverins, I guess because they were inspired by Guy Loverin's design, though they may not be a faithful copy in every detail. It might be more accurate to call these Pope designs, but "Loverin" seems to have become a generic name for full-diameter bullets with many grooves and bands.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote