New
Find
Notify
Tools

VihtaVuori N320 Load data
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I traded 500 Win AA hulls for 2lb's of it and don't have load data. Looking at burn rate charts it is about Green Dot speed. I would like data for most all pistola from 38 sp to 45 Colt and some rifle in 6.5 thru 8MM range, all with cast boolets of course.
I may never buy any of this brand so don't want to buy load book.

Thanks

Calamity Jake

Posts: 43 | Location: Okla. | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
Hi Jake

visit Vihtavuori

They have a good burning rate chart, but hopefully they will have explicit loading data for you.

You can download pdf files of very complete loading data for rifles and pistols in English or Metric units!

There used to be more European cartridges in the metric version, so you might want to examine both versions. However, I suspect you will find all you need in the long (ca 70 page) free pdf manual.

I have only loaded VV powders in rifles, so I don't know what info they have for other applications.

Finally, if they have no load data and the burning rate table isn't enough to get you started, send them an email! They have responded to several very odd requests for loading info within a week. They sent me (among other things) a nice load for 125gr pistol bullets and fast powder in my .358 Norma Magnum! :-)

HTH

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jpb, Thanks, I will give it a look.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CJ -
VVN320 is one of our favorite low velocity lead powders - easy to ignite, clean burning, and very very stable (ie, lots of low single digit SD's (over 10 shots))... but as far as placing it via a burn rate chart - I'd watch out, ie, the two important parameters describing the internal ballistics of a powder are: rel quickness and rel gas generation, and for 320 it doesn't match any other powders we've found. If you're interested in examples of its use we have quite a few on our website (url below, look under levergun data/studies). But in general: in a 3030AI size case, it's a little (1%) quicker than unique; in a '06 it becomes a AA2 stand-in; in a 25-06 it's a little faster than AA2; in a 300wm its approx w231; in a 338wm it's again close to AA2; but when one gets to 458 Lotts, 4570's 450 marlins it's more like S1000 (1/2 way btwn reddot and w231). A very fine powder, we highly recommend it for lead loads. (If you're looking for loads for specific cartridges, you might email us - the data on the website represents 10-15% of what we've taken.)
do shoot straight,
greg
www.gmdr.com

Posts: 46 | Location: far northern california (where guns aren't evil) | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gmushial, You have a great sight, lots of info there..
Thanks for the reply.