New
Find
Notify
Tools

cast bullets in 6MM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am interested in trying cast in a 6br remington. any thoughts on what mould's to try, what twist? Thank you.

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
What twist is your gun? Is it a BR gun? If so, maybe a 14 twist, eh? ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Felix, It's not built yet I would like a 1-8 twist for 107 gr jacketed if it would work with cast also. Any ideas? SLW

Posts: 59 | Location: 15758 Butte Mt. Rd. Jackson CA. 95642 | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
SLW, a high twist rate won't work for cast. To make it work would use effort only enjoyed by I-told-you-so folks, which are not typically cast beginners. Your best bet is using a 12 twist or slower, with commensurate short-fat-fanny boolits with a fairly sharp wind-breaking point (1/4 meplat or smaller). ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

SLW, a high twist rate won't work for cast. To make it work would use effort only enjoyed by I-told-you-so folks, which are not typically cast beginners. Your best bet is using a 12 twist or slower, with commensurate short-fat-fanny boolits with a fairly sharp wind-breaking point (1/4 meplat or smaller). ... felix

\

Felix
I know we're not talking about the 6mm Rem, but remember when Rem called it the 244 and it had a 1/12 twist and they found out it wouldn't shoot the heavier jacketed bullets like the 243 would with it's 1/10 twist? Wouldn't this hold true to a 6mm BR? The poster did say he want's to shoot the 107 gr jacketed.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Felix. Good to see you posting here, I've been away doing other stuff for awhile. I see that nothing has changed in that good advice is often drowned out by the all too frequent blah blah blah.

My Savage 110 in .243 has shot great with cast boolits everytime I remember to bring the freaking ammo. 1 in 7 twist just won't do it, according to the 6.5 Swede experimenters. The Savage is supposed to be 1 in 10, never measured it, and does its best with the RCBS 100 grainer at around 2000 fps. This is my wind-bucking load for the Nevada Cast Bullet Shoots in Winnemucca.

Felix, A Happy New Year to you and yours.

Best regards from duke.

Posts: 41 | Location: reno nv | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Duke--howya doin'?

A second vote for the RCBS 100 grainer, this in my 243. VERY accurate when seated atop 12.0 grains of 2400.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote