Find
Notify
Tools

Home grown pistol goes bang!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, I took my homemade pistol to the range today to proof it. It handled the proofload of just over 30ksi without any problems. I think I'll keep my max loads around 20k or so. I shot some low velocity rounds after proofing. I don't have a rear sight on it yet, but I wanted to see if it would shoot. So I lined the front sight up on the hammer and put a few on the target. I only put the target out at 10yds, but it made a nice little group. It seems that I made my reamer abit on the large side as the case body bulged. The recoil and noise was mild. I did have to drop the hammer a couple of times on some rounds. I think I need a stronger main spring or more fireing pin protrusion. I've got some nice hardwood that I've cut into thin panels to make into grips for it.

Now I wonder if I turn a 5/8" grade 8 bolt into a 45acp barrel?

I found a couple of demilled Garand barrels on ebay for about $6. I think I'll try to make a rifle version also.

I'll take some more pics after I get it polished up and the grips and rear sight put on.

I'm going to call the cartrige the 30-Erin after my 5yo Son.

It's a 38 special the body is .7" long, then necked down to 30cal in an 06 sizer die. I used a 3/8" bolt and turned the head down to fit the shell holder spot on my press. I used this to push the cases up inside the 06 die far enough. I had the decapper pin removed so I could just use a 1/4" bolt to tap the sized cases out. I decapped with a 357 die and seated with a 357 die. I'll have to make some real loading dies eventually.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar, darn thing looks like fun!

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I hear Thompson Center's stock going down. <G>

Ed Barrett

Posts: 363 | Location: Missouri Ozarks, USA | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ed,

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
An update on the 30-Erin Pistol project. 38 special necked down to 30cal.

I found a hardwood pallet with a nice looking section of wood, so I cut it out for the grips. For the forend, I used the leftover wood from my turkish Mauser sporter project. I still need to make a rear sight and mount it. I'm thinking of makeing a steel Weaver style scope base and then makeing a rear sight that could bolt onto it or take it off and put a scope on.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
That's pretty cool, Lar!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote