Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load needed Lee 459-500
 Login/Join

posted
Recently purchased the Lee 459-500 mold to use in my Dane Rolling Block. The rifle has a great looking .459 bore chambered in 45/70.
I have been using the Lee HB 405 with 23 gr. of 4198 and had been getting decent groups but I believe the rifle is capable of more. So If any one has a reduced smokeless load for the 500 Grain'r I'd appreciate hearing about it. TIA

Posts: 13 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both of these loadings feature the 500 Lee albeit nose sized in a 452 Lee die.. driving that slug into the die and then out. Makes a gradual taper from 4515 to groove dia. Both using 4759 at 23.2 grs and only handlubing two grooves. WW alloy aged seated to engrave out front... REM brass. .

Note the increased speed filling the case with Moly coated Bf using the same charge-- which I believe is OVER traditional 45/70 pressures. Both fired at 100 yrds+... bullets NOT weighed. The ES's are some of the worst I've had recently, but am just know experimenting with the long forward seating using the nose sized bullet.

Note one rd in latter pic seated deep to 2.88" and it's velocity at 1310. F'r means fouler. All shot in my Buffalo Classic 32" bore...

Posts: 1529 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote