New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 cast does its job
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well kinda did its job as I wonder if it would have been more different with a higher powered jacketed bullet? Shot a nice 5 pointer Fri with my Encore Pistol in 308. It was for a T zone WI hunt that you are supposed to shoot anterless only but since I have a Class A disabled permit I am allowed to shoot buck or doe. This is the 3rd deer I have killed with The Encore so far and the first buck. I like it, it is a nice rig. With the price of every thing so high this year gas ect ect I figured I would use a cast bullet load I had tried that had milder recoil than factory ammo and shot well. While factory remington ammo is not that expensive I would have to use some of it to resight the gun back in after shooting cast loads and I figured since I had the cast loads already and the gun sighted in I would use the money for the gas tank instead of buying some factory shells. I had reloaded some jacketed a year ago and the recoil was so stout that I developed a flinch shooting them so went to the lighter recoiling cast loads to get rid of the flinching problem. I can shoot factory all day long and they do not bother me and the ones I reloaded with the jacketed bullets would have been fine in a rifle I suppose because they showed no pressure signs they were just too darn stout for the pistol. Must have been more than a factory load. Any way back to tha buck I figured I would neck shoot him because I knew that would put him down and I would not have to go after him if the cast bullet did not do its job. Pulled the trigger and the buck dropped like a ton of bricks. Ok good so far. Started walking up to the buck to dress him out and he lifted his head and stumbled off. I could tell he was hurt bad because he would go about 5 to 10 yards and lay down again. He kept this up for about 4 more times. I finally got a other bullet into his neck after he went about 30 yards from where I first shot him the first time. I suppose IF I would have let him lay he might have died but it was about dark and a storm was coming and I wanted him out of the woods before that happened. Some guys came along and helped me drag him out of the woods so that was a good deal. Anyway I got him and all was well. I just have to wonder if using a more powerful factory jacketed load if he would have moved or been down for the count? I figured the load I made up was using 2400 and if my memory serves me right I think the load was rated for 1850 FPS. Some where betweed the 18 and 20 grains. Since 20 is maximum I think I settled for 19 grains. The bullet was a round nose and I think that a flat point would have been a lot better choice using a 30 cal bullet. I have no fear of using my muzzle loading bullets or my 45/70 for deer because the bullets are a lot bigger as was most of the cast bullets used for deer hunting back in the black powder cartridge days. Any one have any thoughts on using 30 cal cast for deer hunting. I myself think I will stick with a faster jacketed load in the 30 cal and leave the cast to my larger diameter calibers. Not saying it did not do its job as I got the deer but it took two rounds to do it in the neck and while some may not favor the neck shot I have not lost a deer yet that I have shot using a neck shot. Yea I shoot for the boiler room also with loads I know and trust but the verdict was out on this load as I had never hunted with it. I have read of guys using a 30 cal cast with good results but then heard others that a larger caliber cast is a better choice. After seeing the results of this hunt I would have to tend to agree sone what but would like to hear what you guys think of cast 30 cal hunting loads? Jim

Posts: 5226 | Location: USA | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JH. I've seen what you describe happen a couple of times, but with full power jacketed loads. Try for the neck shot and miss or barely nick the spine and the shock can be enough to drop the deer. The effect can be temporary or partial depending on how much damage was done. It's possible that the shock wave from a higher velocity jacketed bullet would have been enough to kill instantly, but it's a long ways from certain.

It's also possible, from what you say, that you would not have made as good a hit with a full powered load. I make it six of one, half dozen of the other.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my pet loads for deer hunting with cast bullets is the RCBS #30-180-FN. Nominally a 180 gr. bullet, it comes out at 190 gr. in my alloy. Velocity from a 20" barrelled 30-30 is 1950 FPS, just a bit faster than your load. Prior to that, I used a Lyman #311291, a 175 gr. round nosed bullet in 30-30 at a full 2000 FPS. Either bullet in the chest cavity made short work of the deer.
I bring this up because your load, while a bit slower than my two, would have most likely done just fine on a chest cavity shot.
A load I used to use while living in Northern California many years ago was a 30-06 using jacketed 30-30 bullets loaded to about 2400 FPS. No Chronys available back in those dark ages. There never was any flies on that old 30-30, and it shouldn't be too hard to at least reach 30-30 speeds or a little more in your Encore. Recoil should still be less than a full power factory load and accuracy should be OK.
About ten years ago, I did a small test comparing my cast bullet (#311291) loaded to full 30-30 specs against factory 170 gr. ammo. (Federal brand.) I fired two bullets of each type into a bundle of very wet newspapers. The mushrooms were, for all practical purposes, identical. When hunting with the cast bullet though, I try very hard to get close and to not hit the shoulder bone. Gets messy if you do.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys! I guess that I have to get some confidence back in the load. Ok the older lyman books that I have say around 1900 FPS. So just how fast can I push a cast in the 308 for a good deer load?

one of us
posted Hide Post
jh,
It's probably better not to go there. It is possible to go up almost(?) to starting loads for jacketed bullets. But, the trip isn't all that much fun. You will lead your barrel pretty bad, a few (OR SEVERAL) times, on the way. Stick with "normal" cast bullet loads, use a heavy-for-caliber bullet, and enjoy.
Keep in mind that cast bullets perform differently than jacketed. Use their penetration, and break the animal down. Bust the shoulders, and they won't go far.
That said, you could probably go to paper patching, and shoot full-house jacketed loads. Your bullet performance would then become the issue. JMHO,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Bug.

Posts: 353 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 22 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks so in other words around 1800 to 1900 with a proper style bullet is plenty good. I have had more expirience with muzzle loaders and my 45/70 shooting cast and not worried about velocity as shooting heavy cast for the 45/70 ( 405 grains) and conicals for the muzzle loaders (370 + ) velocity was not a issue as the heavy bullet did a great job even traveling at black powder velocities, or in the case of the 45/70 smokeless loads that were around that same velocity. Just getting into shooting cast bullets in the bottle neck cartridges lately. SO have lots to learn yet. Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
What part on N. Cal did you live Paul?

one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
jh45gun, I've been loading the Lyman 311291 hollow point in my 308 over 22 grs. 2400. I cast this load out of air-cooled wheelweights. The load chrono's at 1850-1900 fps out of my 18 1/2" barrel carbine. My daughter, starting at the age of 11, has killed 3 deer with three shots in three years. All of the deer were shot in the lung/heart area and none ran over 25 or so yards.
If you can find a hollow point mold (watch e-bay), they seem to cast good, deer killing bullets.
Good Luck,
35 Whelen

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In my K11 Swiss Schmidt Rubin, I shoot a 170 gr. Lee fn, with Felix lube. I run it up to around 2280 fps with absolutely no leading, and groups that are right around an inch. And it kills very well.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2280 fps w/felix... I like those numbers. That's about as good as it gets.. can't ask much more than that..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. I do appreciate it. Gonna do a lot of casting this winter for some thing to do during the cold days. Which is most of them in WI.