New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in the 32-40
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have just made purchase of a Stevens model 44 in 32-40. The Stevens 44 is not as strong an action as the #44 1/2 so I intend to use cast bullets and load to BLK powder pressures only with this rifle. Looking for loading information and suggestions for what cast bullet to use. I have two that I have been looking at that appear to be what I may want to use. They are the Lyman #321247, or the Redding SAECO #632 a tapered bullet for the single shot rifle. Would like to your suggestion.Thanks, Sendaro

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
FIRST !!!!!! slug the bore to make sure what Dia. you need. The "standard' out here (mt.) is .321, 170 gr. rnfp, cast from a MAGMA mold.
look up cowboy action loads to get a place to start.

mtbullet

Posts: 12 | Location: montana | Registered: 26 June 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting cast bullets? If so with Bkk or smokeless?

Posts: 259 | Location: up state New York USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
sorry for the delay,
i use both 5744 and black , but prefer the 5744. Only shoot cast bullets in it. look up cowboy action loads for a starting point.

mtbullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Please tell me about 5744 powder in the 32-40 cartridge with 200 grain plain base cast bullets? I know nothing about 5744 powder. Thanks, Sendaro

posted Hide Post
The 32-40 was designed around the 165-170 gr. lead bullet wt., so I tend to stay with that. Go to Accurate Powder's web site for load data with 5744.

mtbullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check it out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check www.assra.com
Lots of guys are shooting 12-14gr of 4227.
American Single Shot Rifle Assn.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have tried IMR4227 @ 12.00 grains - Winchester large pistol primer - with Lyman 319247. This seems to shoot very well and after firing 50 shots without cleaning there was no leading. I used my bore scope to inspect the bore before cleaning it. There was no leading to be found, and it cleaned up very easy. Also the load seems to shoot very well. At present the rifle is equiped with a Lyman #103 tang sight and a blade front sight. Not the best aiming set up for precision test firing, however I have a 6X Malcolm scope on the way that will be fitted to the rifle. This should allow for more precision in aiming while test firing. Thank you all for the information. Sendaro