New
Find
Notify
Tools

The 44/63 Ballard in CPA Stevens
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently I was given eight pounds of AA2200, very nice too!

My interest is in long range Buffalo Rifle shooting and I have some several good loads for the job, but nothing with AA2200, nor does the AA data lend itself to loading the 44/63 with 475 grain bullets with 2200 at all.

I went through the necessary careful load developement and have found that I may load 30 grains 2200 under the 475 grain gascheck bullet and have good working pressures, good accuracy and tight standard deviations.

Today at the 834 yard distance I was able to get reliable hits on the 2 X 2 diamond. With iron sights this target is tough to see, let alone hit every time. It was great fun.

Good morning,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest....Only problem with the AA2200 is that it's about dried up.

A bunch of us here in KY jumped on it when Weidener's had it cheap. It worked well in the 38/55, 40/65 and 45/70. Anywhere from 24-30 grains with a dacron wad.

I've shot some really bad elephant stompers in the 458 Win Mag with a 545 grain cast at 2200 + FPS and a lot of AA2200. Gave me about 2" at 100 yards and that's my current "elephant" load. Too much pressure on the shoulder end to shoot them for everyday use.

I'm down to about a pound now....sure wish a new source would open up./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beagle:

B: Only problem with the AA2200 is that it's about dried up.

F: I didn't know that!

As this container was free I didn't check into further availability at all.

B: It worked well in the 38/55, 40/65 and 45/70. Anywhere from 24-30 grains with a Dacron wad.

F: Do you remember what your load was in the 40/65? I have a good M1895 Marlin in 40/65 that I use for long range shooting with a 385 grain bullet.

B: Gave me about 2" at 100 yards and that's my current "elephant" load. Too much pressure on the shoulder end to shoot them for everyday use.

F: (Amazed shock!) You have elephants in Kentucky?

Good afternoon,
Forrest

Posts: 246 | Location: Northern Wyoming | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
......AA2200 works well in the 35 Rem with 200gr bullets too. Graf and Son had it listed for awile also. That's were I got my jug. That was about 2 years ago.

.......Buckshot

Posts: 119 | Location: Redlands, Calif | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest.....

I haven't seen it advertised like it once was and haven't been able to find it at any of the milsurp dealers recently. But, a free 8 pounder of good powder is a gem to be cherrished so don't look a gift horse in the mouth. That's the problem with milsurps. You get a good one and work up a good load and they run out. How dare our government do that!

I used the 40-300-CSA sized to .410 with 26.0 grains of AA2200 and a dacron wad in my Browning while I had it and the present owner is still using that load in it. I don't have the chronograh data as I've dumped it....sorry. It was pretty slow as we were only shooting at 300 meters (our range is set up in meters). But, it was accurate.

No elephants anymore. Since I got the 458 Win Mag, I've about hunted them to extinction. Good shooting's hard to find anymore./beagle

Posts: 234 | Location: Lexington, Ky,USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote