New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now my barrel is leading
 Login/Join

<Win94>
posted
Well fellas, i got greedy. i pushed the .38-55 too hard i have slight grey streaks in my barrel. I am taking for granted that this is the elusive leading problem some of us face from time to time. What is the best solvent to get this out? Do i use the bore brush for this?? I have a bottle of ACCUBORE that states on it, it is good for copper fouling and leading. Anyone heard of it?? I will try this first i guess. [Roll Eyes]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Chore Boy type pot scrubber, the copper looking ones. Pull off a few strands, and wrap them around your brush. A few passes will remove all leading, and not harm your barrel. Keep one in your shooting box.

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Paladin>
posted
Use Soft Gas Checks under your bullets and pretty much forget about leading. check this link for repros of the instructions, prices, and ordering info:

www.caversham16.freeserve.co.uk

Paladin

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Mark
Two suggestions.
If you convince your wife, or significant other, that the hard part of the shooting sport is the shooting of the ammo and the fun part is the reloading empty brass and the cleaning of the firearms, is the easiest techique for getting your barrel clean.
Assuming that your talents at B.S.ing and horn
swalgalling is just as lacking as mine, bump the size of your bullets up. In my 375 Whelen I use a die that was lapped out to .380. I've yet to get the first bit of leading. I use the loading data for the 35 Whelen, with the same bullet weight to load my 375.
Does the cast bullet have a gas check?
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Waksupi has it right. I fired a bunch of the RCBS #350250-SP bullets in my Ruger 77 in .358 Win. The last one third of the barrel was badly leaded.
I think the bullet needs a much deeper grease groove. Anyway, ten passes with some strands from a Chore Boy pad on a well worn but tight 45 caliber brush and the bore was spotless. I guess 2000 FPS is a bit much for that bullet.
You can find brass versions of the chore boy at most dollar stores. they're usually made of brass rather than copper but they work just as well.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Win94>
posted
Thanks fellas.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got rid of my SBH 44 Mag leading probs by accident: Did a test batch of 255 SWC:s with a wheelweight/linotype mix and decided to get rid of some old powder at the same time.

Pushed them hard,got no leading at all. So I thought it was the new alloy until I decided to shoot out some of the old WW bullets to compare once again... no leading. [Smile]

The reason: slower powder,as slow as you can use for the needed velocity and no heat treating for the bullets. All sized .430,not really necessary but I use my own lube as well as Alox (both work)and my hard lube needs the Lee sizer to help with the mess. The boolits can�t be pushed through the throats -except one that I don�t use.

Trial and error... now for the first time during my massive one year casting career I can shoot all day, 1450 fps 255 grainers,very very accurate, no leading. (Undersized hardened bullets were the worst ones, pushing them with fast powder was really stupid,any velocity.Glad to have Foul Out.)

Some "Ed�s Red" with a few brushstrokes, fantastic! [Big Grin]

After that I spent a day casting... trying different temps and alloys. Made 1207 bullets in one day... camping stove and ladle. All shoot good,even the frosty ones I made on purpose for Alox lubing. [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoppes,Kleen-bore, and Remington have marketed a treated lead removal cloth, that I consider an essential tool for cleaning barrels, cylinders, forcing cones, molds etc. The great thing is it's non abrasive. It will remove bluing though, so you have to be careful there.

Posts: 34 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 12 September 2001Reply With Quote