Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 06 and cast bullets
 Login/Join

posted
I have a couple of 1903A3 springfields that I like. One is a sporter w/redfield iron sights that belonged to my dad and I am considering rebarreling to 375 06 and shooting cast bullets of around 275 grains, preferably gas checked.

Any advice on barrel, twist, bullets, loads, would be appreciated. Use would be informal target shooting and dear/elk hunting.

I have not cast bullets in probably 20 years so a source for a good caster would be good.

Thanks

Don

Posts: 6 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have long thought that a 375 Whelen (375-06) would be the perfect cast bullet hunting rifle. You have a bullet large enough to do some damage with weight for good penetration and the bullet could be pushed to max cast bullet velocity without loading the round down. By now, you have have broken the code and know that I think you have a splendid idea. That standard twist is 1-12 which should be ideal for bullets in the 260-320 range. Lyman 375449 is a standard bullet in that bore that runs 260-270 grains in weight and gives good accuracy. NEI 374-320-GC also has the reputation for being a top notch bullet. There is an outfit called Bullshop that does custom casting, but last I hear it was up for sale and I don't know if he is casting anymore. Good luck on your project.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Charger, for a boolit about 1.2 inches long, with a meplat of 0.24, the twist requirement would only be 18 for 100 percent stability. In fact, over stable for a cast boolit gun at 100-150 yards. If the meplat were larger, or the boolit longer, or in batoutofhell winds, then going to 16 twist would be enough. Just how long is a 300 grainer in 375-380? ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don, we need buckshot to chime in here, & yeah, what Felix said. Buckshot has a 375-06 that has given him a little grief because the barrel has a 12" twist & when he tries to get the velocities up, accuracy suffers. I agree the 375-06 would be about perfect. A 275-300gr. boolit with a decent meplat, a B.C. of over .300 & a velocity approaching 2200'/s. Sounds good to me. That's why I've watched Buckshots work so closely. Krieger makes a 375 barrel with a 1 in 15" twist that I've thought would be about perfect, also a good bore would help make it cast friendly. The proposed boolit list @ www.bator boolits has a 300gr. design I was hoping would become a reality. Good luck with your project, & keep us posted. Ron.D

Posts: 59 | Location: Barrie Ont. Can. | Registered: 20 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not done the Greenhill or math or the twist. I am working from my experience with a 375 H&H (Model 70). It had 1-12 and would drive tacks with 375499 at 2,200 fps. I never tried anything heavier. Were I to build such a rifle, I would do a little more research on twist. 1-12 is the common twist offered by makers but in this world we can get what we want. Hart offers alot of choices. I have never messed with one, but if memory serves me right the 35 Whelen did it's thing with a 1-16.

Posts: 263 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does take a 15 twist to shoot a 280 grain blunt nose with rounded edges out of the Whelen. So, a 15 twist will do a larger diameter with the same weight (shorter length). Will do a 300 rounded blunt for sure in the 375. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.5x57 Mannlicher Schoenauer caliber. Why bring this up? Because I use 30-06 and .35 Whelen brass to make the cases. It is basically a .375 Improved Whelen Short.

I would strongly recommend getting it with the "Improved Taper" if you do. I start with 30-06 brass or .35 Whelen brass, expand the neck to .375" and set the shoulder back about 3/16" (the case is 1/4" shorter, but 1/16" of that is in a shorter neck). There is very little shoulder left when I do that. I then fireform the brass and there is a nice firm shoulder to headspace on. This one shoots .375" Hornady 270gr RN very well. I will have to check the twist when I get home.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PS: I have just started shooting Lyman 375167 cast bullets in it. Not enough to tell about, but no problems (like leading) so far.

Posts: 212 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote