Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mould .38spl
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

What the best(quality) maker mould for a .38spl cast bullet. Thanks in advance. Biga

I think you're trying to start a fight! (VBG)

How about a rank ordering in two lists, iron and aluminum.

Iron:

Aluminum:

*Brass:

Some of the makers are; in ALPHABETICAL order:

H&G (Hensly & Gibbs) now ...

LBT

Lee

Lyman

Mountain Moulds

NEA

RCBS

SAECO

My personal favorite is the H&G 50 about 148gr. I have Lyman, RCBS in wadcutters ranging from 140 through about 160gr.

* there are 3 kinds of people in the world: those that can count, and those that can't.

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What the best(quality) maker mould for a .38spl cast bullet.
Thanks in advance.
Biga

Posts: 24 | Location: Brazil | Registered: 13 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Of all the "standard target designs" out there, all are full wadcutters almost without exception at 140 to 160 grains. Modify gun or load just very slightly, mold "x" will out perform mold "y", or, vice versa. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, Felix - the voice of reason. I think most of us have been down the road of mould brand 'a' vs mould brand 'b'.

Which is to suggest that the pro's and con's of certain major brands (that begin with the letter 'L') has been over discussed and such discussions can be found with very little research (perhaps only going back a month or so in the threads).

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Felix 100 %. Havng said that I have never shot a LY358477 over 5 gr unique in any 38 that did not group great. Gianni.

Posts: 65 | Location: Western MT | Registered: 27 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
John, that load and boolit is THE classic load for any 38 special revolver. Hard to beat in that kind of gun, boolit seated in the crimping groove, or two tenths grain less of same powder when taper crimped on the bottom of the driving band. Crimp position depends on cylinder length. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I agree with Felix 100 %. Havng said that I have never shot a LY358477 over 5 gr unique in any 38 that did not group great. Gianni.

thats the one i cast too only i load mine over bullseye.....6-6.2 grs. in .357 mag. and 3-3.5 grs. in .38 spl......................

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lyman #358477 in 38 Special. Just a great boolit with about any sane load of an appropriate powder. I've shot a couple F-250 truckloads of jackrabbits with this bullet out of a number of 38 caliber revolvers.

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a NIB Lyman 2 cav mold for the 148 WC. At school right now, don't remember the mold number.
email me if your interested. $35 shipped
idahobronco@aol.com

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
biga,
Any of the mentioned mold makers make good molds.
It is your choice as to usage whether you get a swc or dewc.
The most important thing is bullet fit to the cyllinder of your pistol. If the bullet is too small, none of the bullets from any of the molds will shoot well.You need 0.0005 to 0.001 oversize, or you will be very frustrated. If you have the right size bullet, any of the mold makes will shoot well.
It is bullet fit, not bullet mold maker. - Lew

Posts: 66 | Location: St. Louis, MO, USA | Registered: 19 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ill tell you about my secret bullet. Its the ugly little 105 lee put it with 5 grains of redot and it has shot good in every .38 ive tried it in. I cast coffee cans full of them with two 6 cavity lee molds and dont even size em just tumble lube em and shoot. like i said its accurte low in recoil and is very UGLY!

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote