Find
Notify
Tools

Did I screw up? Lead shot...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
I was casting the other day with a lyman #2 mix.
The pot was running low and I threw about 5 pounds of lead shot in pot and finished casting. Bullets look good to me. I only use these in low velocity pistol loads.
I thought I read some time ago that lead shot was very hard. Anyone have any info on this?
Thank you.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I know, lead shot is ~98% pure lead and ~2% arsenic. Watch the fumes! I use lead shot for 1150 fps or less cast bullet loads in several rifles and pistols. I find ~1150 fps is the leaded barrel point.

Posts: 108 | Location: Northcentral Louisiana | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lead shot sometimes contains antimony to improve hardness but the proportions vary from one grade of shot to the next. Arsenic may improve hardness a tiny bit but mostly it is there because it occurs naturally in lead ores so it will be there whether you want it or not, except for highly refined laboratory grade pure lead.

Lead is toxic, antimony is toxic, and arsenic is toxic. Don't eat it, don't breathe it, and especially don't let your kids ingest it.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by popenmann:
Arsenic may improve hardness a tiny bit but mostly it is there because it occurs naturally in lead ores so it will be there whether you want it or not, except for highly refined laboratory grade pure lead.

Lead is toxic, antimony is toxic, and arsenic is toxic. Don't eat it, don't breathe it, and especially don't let your kids ingest it.

mbirdm,

Arsenic is added to shot in trace amounts (less than 1%) to greatly improve spherical forming of shot when it is dropped in a shot tower. Without the arsenic the shot tends to form tear dropped in shape instead of spherical.

I echo popenmann's last paragraph with a strong caution to melting shot. Arsenic is bad stuff! Bad enough the other two are toxic "choir boys" in comparison! Please be careful melting shot!

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.
I did not realize lead shot had arsenic in it.
I made 5 of the little lyman molds when I was done. Should I be careful when I cast again?
Will the arsenic still be there or does it disapate? Thanks again for the good information.
Much appreciated.
Michael

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
If you can cast outside to avoid the fumes. Many years ago my cousins German Shepard ate some of his wheel weights they had to take the dog to the vet it almost died. I have no idea what possessed the dog to eat led considering it had plenty of dog food available. Young children will also put anything in there mouth.

Be safe

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have heard, but have not confirmed, that "magnum" lead shot is the stuff with the higher percentage of antimony, and when this stuff is mixed with the proper amount of tin, makes GREAT bullets. I'm not sure if "regular" lead shot has any antimony in it, or not.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most "chilled" or regular shot, especially if it is from Mexico (one brand of Mexican shot used to be called Pattern Perfect, it was to laugh) has zero to 1% antimony. What is called Magnum or hard shot usually has about 1 1/2% to 3% antimony. It substantially improves patterns by hardening the lead and helping the shot maintain roundness when fired (setback) and while scrubbing down the barrel.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
About arsenic... Melt the lead and if you ever get a hint of garlic smell, that's the arsenic. The way to tell, is to melt the lead by not being around it, except to stir it. If you are around the pot during the melting, your nose won't pick up the garlic because the nose gets confused with the other stuff coming out of the pot. The garlic lingers, while the other smells tend to burn off nose wise. ... felix

felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote