THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM CAST BULLET FORUM

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lyman 457621, Anyone Know anything about it?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have just had a mate give me his 457621 mould to cast a few bullets out of, does anyone know much about this bullet? I have looked in all my old Lyman books and can't find any description of it at all. It weighs around 485 grains from my alloy, looks kind of like the Govt bullet but has a longer rear driving band. The last band measures .458 as cast while the other 4 driving bands measure .452. Just wondering if anyone knows what it might have been introduced for? Maybe for rifles with bad BP fouling so that subsequent rounds could be chambered easier?

Regards,
David.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Sean Murphy
posted Hide Post
I think I have an idea. The front bands are designed to be "bore riding" so that the bullet can be seated far out of the case in a rifle barrel with a normal throat, probably for a 45-70. This will allow more powder to be loaded, basically duplicating 45-90 ballistics from a 45-70 case. I have solved that problem in my Rolling Block 45-70 by cutting the chamber with an Eric Greer designed reamer that cuts a 12 mm throat and allows me to seat a 550gr Postel bullet with only 5mm in the case. This mould you have will allow you to do the same thing in a normal factory throat.

Sean.

Those who live by the sword shall surely be shot by those of us who don't.

Posts: 18 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa. | Registered: 17 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
might this be the arsenal bullet for the 45-85 round for the Springfield?

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Here is a link to all the old Lyman bullet moulds.

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/Lyman_moulds/Lyman_moulds.htm

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!
If'n I miss, our band of 45/70 brothers, will fill yer full of lead!

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
B.A.W,
Thanks for the link, I actually have a copy of the book these pages were scanned from, and it's not listed either.

Thanks,
David.

Posts: 78 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 31 May 2005Reply With Quote