New
Find
Notify
Tools

113 gr Lee w/o gas check
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Trying to increase production of loaded ammo with this bullet. Thought I'd try to tumble lube some and try to load them unsized w/o gas check. has anyone tried this? Wanted to try them in a 7.62 Argintine Mauser as they drop at .311 right from the mould.

woods

Posts: 48 | Location: st. charles | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of felix
posted Hide Post
Woods, it would be pure luck if they shot good. The bases have to be very uniform to make the gas escape uniform enough out of the barrel. Any boolit tipping there, and you're dead no matter how soft the load. ... felix

Posts: 477 | Location: fort smith ar | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Woods, as luck would have it I just tried this experiment last weekend. Leaded up my Rem 700 .06 terribly and I spent the good part of a Saturday cleaning it up. However some qualifiers are in order. I Shot them after probably 25 rounds of jac$$ted bullets and the barrel was still pretty warm for the last group. When using the gas check and 11gr of 700X this has been a dandy training round for my 12-year-old son. However, we have been trying to work up a load for him to hunt pronghorn with so I tried a 125g jacketed at "beginning" velocity of about 2700 fps. At the first shot from that light synthetic stocked gun, he looked up at me holding back tears and when I asked if it was still too much gun he just nodded his head. Our next try has been a Speer 87 grain soft point (no longer made) in a 6.5 Swedish chambered Krag at about 3000fps. The old warhorse seems to shoot this little pill well and my son deemed the recoil bearable but I don't know how well it will hold up since I am guessing it is a varmint bullet. I plan to shoot a few into some wood blocks and see if they stay together or not. If not I may have to go to the little Lee soup can 309-113 in the .06 at 2200-2400fps which will limit us to under 100 yard shots. I think the Krag may be a bit clumsy for him to shoot anyway with it's side mount scope but he says he likes the way it lines up for him and that he likes the gun because it is "cool" KevD

Posts: 24 | Location: Montana | Registered: 29 September 2003Reply With Quote