New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question 45-90
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend that is starting to put together a load for his new 45-90. He is presently using Pyrodex powder and a 500 grain Lee mould bullet. I have tried to find some data on the 45-90 but have not had much luck. Can anyone here advise? Thanks, smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
What he probably has is a .45 2.4 inch; the 45-90 Winchester used a 300 grain bullet and a very slow twist. But everyone calls it that anyway. I have one and have fired hundreds of rounds through it, all BP loads, consisting of 7 grains of 5744 behind 67 grains GOEX cartridge grade. That burns cleanly. I don't use pyrodex as it has some corrosive properties. But, the rule for BP and pyrodex is to load it full of powder with room to seat a bullet and a wad, maybe compressing it 1/8th inch. If you want to compress it more than that you need to use a compression die. But with duplex loads, you don't need to compress. Do not exceed 10% of smokeless.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd, I'll send that info on to him. I'm just the go-between so if you don't mind I might have another question for you. smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
If your friend must use Pyrodex (GACK!), then start by measuring the bullet shank from the base of the bullet, to the point where it will sit at the edge of the case mouth. That is the seating depth below the case mouth. Then, just fill the case with powder to that depth below the case mouth. Pyrodex does not like to be compressed at all.

He would be much better served to use either Goex, or Swiss. Both will give better accuracy, and neither one is as highly corrosive as Pyrodex. Pyrodex is very bad for corrosion once burned. I would shun it completely and go with a TRUE blackpowder, as GOD has intended.

Also, even though it didn't get mentioned, make sure he's casting those bullets SOFT, like at the hardest, 20-1 and 30-1 would be even better.

I'm not sure how much lube that Lee bullet will carry, but if the barrel's properly long, he may need either a grease cookie, or a lube wad under the bullet. He may find that the bullet runs out of lube before he runs out of barrel. Also, if he does use a grease cookie or lube wad, he will want a card wad between it and the powder charge. Then he'll need to take all that, card wad, cookie or lube wad into his measurement factor for the height of the charge column under the bullet.

If you can't talk him out of Pyrodex, at least instill in him the notion to NEVER shoot it without cleaning it as soon as possible afterwards.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is all you need. Put 73 grains Swiss 1 and 1/2 powder in the 45-90 case. Put a 60 thousands fiber wad on top, then seat a 540 grain Creedmore bullet. All components available from Buffalo Arms. I shoot this load out to 1.000 yards. Clean up with Hoppes BP solvent. Mori

Posts: 59 | Location: northern CA | Registered: 28 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good point; Swiss; If I didn't have 2 cases of Goex, I would shoot Swiss and it would burn clean. Yes, Pyrodex, gack is right. In 1976 when Pyrodex came out, I bought several cans as I thought that would be the final solution to black powder (dupont is all we had then, until the plant blew up, then we had Meteor and other stuff). I soon found Pyro to be worse in all respects than BP and I still have the cans full. I have no idea what to do with them but I won't shoot it. The Lee 500 grainer has deep grease grooves; I have that mold as well.

Posts: 17133 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you folks. This is very valuable info. smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mori,

how's come you didn't walk up to the redneck in the Jaguar convertible at Quigley and introduce yourself? That would have been me, shooting the Axtell 45-70. Next year for sure.

Rich
Sharps M1877 and M1878

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote