New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets in a 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well actualy a 5.6x50R which is 5mm longer and rimmed but not too disimilar.

I've picked up some 30gr lead 22 bullets and want to make up some plinking loads for my son.

The rifle has a 24" barrel, will primers alone be enough or should I use a couple of grains of Unique? Just want some subsonic plinkers.

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
quote:

You really need to add 3-4 grains of green dot, 700x or the like as a primer only is likely to lodge the bullet in the barrel. See the older Lyman manuals for ideas. A lodged lead bullet is not a real problem, BTW, and it may take a bit of experimentation to find a decent load. For a child's introduction, shoot big targets close, like clay pigeons, or plastic soda bottles at 20 yards. They will get it so quick.

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
If you want to go really light, a primer and no powder BUT with a a .22 cal air rifle pellet -- quiet and surpisingly accurate to 20m or so.

Add 1 grain of Red Dot if you want. I don't have my data at hand, but I think with no powder you get 600fps, with 1 grain of Red Dot 800fps...

John

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting a 55 gr. cast bullet in .223 Rem. with 5.0 gr. of Unique. I just acquired a 38 gr. bullet mold but I haven't loaded any bullets with them yet. The 55 gr. bullet load approximate the .22 Rimfire magnum and is decently accurate from two rifles I have in .223.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ran a series of 311415 gc with Bullseye.
2, 4,5,6,7 and 8 gr. at 50 yards. 5 shot groups. 5gr. did a 3/4" group with 4,6,7 and 8 being slightly larger. I could have done a little better on all groups. 2gr was open. Used a CZ 527 with 3-9x scope on one sandbag.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cast were seriously undersized so I used some 30gr Berger MEFs

3gr Unique = 1200fps
6gr Unique = 2175fps

Accuracy great (ragged hole at 25yards) and no sight changes required. A bit louder than I had hoped but NO recoil at all.